ECN-2 Processing at a Photo lab?

I really wanted to get a 100' roll of the Eterna vivid 500T to load into still photo cassettes to shoot on my Nikon, but I don't know where to get it processed.

I read about how any rem-jet left on the film can practically destroy a C-41 lab's equipment, so I've been trying to find a photo lab that does ECN-2 processing. I've had no luck. Fotokem said they'd do them for me, but it would have to be enough rolls to add back up to a 100' roll.

It seems like it'd be a common stock testing option for DPs, so I'm surprised its not very easy to find a lab to do it. Does anyone know of any?

It seems like it'd be a common stock testing option for DPs, so I'm surprised its not very easy to find a lab to do it.
I think you will find that most labs will do it either if they are running tests for you ahead of a feature (it's no big deal if it brings a couple of hundred thousand feet of neg processing behind it); or if you pay a minimum charge (which is why Fotoken asked you to make it up to a hundred feet). I can't speak for any particular lab, but generally if you pay for 100 feet (and maybe a fixed surcharge as well) you'll get the film processed, even if it's only 5 feet.

If you find a lab at the right price, remember that when rolls of motion picture neg are processed, it is done on a continuous processor, and rolls are joined together overlapping by a few inches. With handling and trimming, you should expect to lose the first and last 4 or 5 frames on each roll (or not shoot them in the first place).

• Premium Member

I don't know if they're still doing it, but A&I on Highland was offering this service a couple of years ago.

There were a lot of problems with their pre-loaded cassettes (very expired stock in at least some of them).

Might be worth a phone call.

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

• Premium Member
I don't know if they're still doing it, but A&I on Highland was offering this service a couple of years ago.

Also call dale labs. They no longer make sildes from negatives but may still manage to run ECN-2 once a week. If dale does it,they use a photofinishing splicer and so can manage to run the whole cartridge. http://dalelabs.com/ Toll Free (800) 327-1776

Dale is still running ECN-2 film. Surprisingly, most of what they get is old Seatle Filmworks ECN respooled for amateurs and long past the expiration date.

They'd probably be happy to get some fresh ECN film in.

I called and emailed Dale Labs recently and they said they stopped processing ECN :( . I hope there is still someplace that can do this service

Steve Zimmerman

> Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2009, 12:59 PM

> We stopped processing the "process

> ECN" films. We still process regular

> film. Thanks for your inquiry.

>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dale is still running ECN-2 film. Surprisingly, most of what they get is old Seatle Filmworks ECN respooled for amateurs and long past the expiration date.

They'd probably be happy to get some fresh ECN film in.

I just spoke with Dale today, and he said that they had ceased effective the end of September.

I am sorry my information is out of date.

One other thing: Spoke to someone, I think at one of the NYC labs, maybe summer of '08, so this could be out of date too, and they were saying they could do it for $9-10 per roll, if I recall correctly.

Of course, expect what Dominic describes: leader and footer damage at both ends of the rolls due to splicing/stapling damage.

Edited by Karl Borowski

In July this year these guys told me that they still process short rolls of ECN-2. I haven't used them, but they must be one of the last still offering the service. I'd be interested to hear from anyone with direct experience re the quality of their work.

frank@thecamerashop.com

Frank Ringsmuth

Plant Manager

The Camera Shop

25 7th Ave. S.

St. Cloud, MN 56301

Phone 320-259-5826

Toll-Free 800-793-0112

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I recently learned that there's a lab in Sydney that processes short rolls of ECN-2. Neglab at Hurstville does it for $15 a roll, although I'm pretty sure that is process only and doesn't include a positive film print as A&I used to. Probably not of much interest to people in the USA, but I intend to use them.

There web site does not seem to offer any Motion picture printing so I would imagine that they don't have anyway to do it.

• 11 months later...

Hello all of you, I just recieved an email from Technicolor lab from London, that they do ESN - 2 bath, however it costs £52.

Does anybody know, who and where in London are able to do it cheaper ? I mean one test stock contains approx 30 - 40 images, so for student is £52 a bit expensive.

Many thanks.

Best wishes

www.mariokuruc.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

same question for a different reason.

I've finally organized my office and I have a lot of filmstock tests and production stills on Eastman MP stocks. 5247 etc. Is there any need to save the negatives since RGB Labs closed? Is there a lab in the US that will print from ECN? How about digital scans?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Analog dinosaur living in a digital world.

same question for a different reason.

I've finally organized my office and I have a lot of filmstock tests and production stills on Eastman MP stocks. 5247 etc. Is there any need to save the negatives since RGB Labs closed? Is there a lab in the US that will print from ECN? How about digital scans?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Analog dinosaur living in a digital world.

I think that since you have a lot that several labs might do it. Call lab in your area. How many do You have? times one hundred feet or so. You'll probably meet their minimum for processing

• Premium Member

If you have already processed the negatives, you will undoubtedly want to save them...They will be lower contrast than Still negatives but that is a small tweek to a digital printer. if they are in still format almost any still lab can work from the PROCESSED negative to make paper prints.