Louis Vuitton - What did they use???

hi all,

please have a look at the following commercial.

i am having a shoot coming up quick, am directing it, and see potential to use similar cinematography in it.

unfortunately my dop is worthless and i dont have any choices.

could you all please look at it below and give me an idea of what lenses and techniques were used to acheive these looks.

thanks all.

• Premium Member

In addition to John's "long lenses and great locations" answer that it totally right, there are a lot of tilt-sifts shots in there and some shots that are, I think, using a diopter with the edge in frame to throw a section of the frame wildly out of focus.

Guest Stephen Murphy
In addition to John's "long lenses and great locations" answer that it totally right, there are a lot of tilt-sifts shots in there and some shots that are, I think, using a diopter with the edge in frame to throw a section of the frame wildly out of focus.

And possibly a lens baby

Good grief, that's staggeringly beautiful.

Phil, can't you post this in more negative a manner? :P

The "good grief" is a good lead-in though; I'll give you credit for that.

I initially thought this post was by our same hand-bag spammer. It is going to be hard to take any post related to clothing or accessories seriously for the next few months here. . .

• Premium Member
And possibly a lens baby

Stephen, what do you think about the shots in there that are basically in focus but have one corner or one section that's wildly out of focus? Shots like those at 0:29 (the grey sky with posts and man sitting), 0:39 (man in the crowd), 0:53 (the lake) and 1:06 (city night ext). Those don't look like tilt shift shots to be, because to get that degree of softness, there would have to be an equal degree of softness on the opposite side of the in-focus part. My best guess is that it's a diopter with the edge visible in frame, but it's so close to the lens that that edge is soft. A couple of those (the lake) look like it might just be something translucent very close to the lens like a sheet of opal or even some crumply saran wrap or the like. Thoughts?

• Premium Member

My impression is that they'll have shot absolutely piles.

I see at least four or five major locations there. You don't do that amount of travelling and shoot half a roll.

I'd be interested to see a "making of" on that. It's the sort of stuff you could wander around almost solo and just steal, or perhaps in some cases with a small commercials style crew. Or, is it all carefully staged. Makes you wonder.

P

Guest Stephen Murphy
My best guess is that it's a diopter with the edge visible in frame, but it's so close to the lens that that edge is soft. A couple of those (the lake) look like it might just be something translucent very close to the lens like a sheet of opal or even some crumply saran wrap or the like. Thoughts?

Chris - very possible - Id imagine it's a combination of several techniques, elements in front of the lens, Vaseline, swing shift, lens babys, diopters et etc Its also possible they have some digital enhancement going on too.

• Premium Member

I did a little searching on the web and came up with this for the credits.

Couldn't find any info about how it was filmed or any BTS footage.

The Louis Vuitton Journey spot was developed at Ogilvy, Paris, by creative Christian Reuilly and agency producer Laure Bayle.

Filming was shot by Bruno Aveillan via Quad Productions, Paris, with director of photography Philippe Lesourd and producer Martin Coulais. Aveillan won the 2007 Mobius Award for his work on the Philips Coolskin commercial.

Post production and special effects were developed at WIZZ, Paris, produced by Manuel Beard, with editor Fred Olszak and Flame artist Bruno Maillard.

Music was provided by Gustavo-Santaolalla, Argentine composer behind the scores for Brokeback Mountain, Fast Food Nation and Babel.

Guest Stephen Murphy
I read somewhere that the spot was shot by Christopher Doyle

Michael

Philippe Lesourd was the DP AFAIK

Stephen, what do you think about the shots in there that are basically in focus but have one corner or one section that's wildly out of focus? Shots like those at 0:29 (the grey sky with posts and man sitting), 0:39 (man in the crowd), 0:53 (the lake) and 1:06 (city night ext).

The old Vaseline-on-the-lens trick, maybe? Or added in post?

The shot at 1:23 looks like the blur is shaped to the image.

--

Jim

• Premium Member

The shot at 1:23 looks like the blur is shaped to the image.

--

Jim

Maybe, I can't decide. There is a line in the sky, but since the sky is bald, I can't tell if that part is soft or not. Surely there's some vaseline in there somewhere. There must be a bunch of different tricks in that commercial.

hi all,

please have a look at the following commercial.

i am having a shoot coming up quick, am directing it, and see potential to use similar cinematography in it.

unfortunately my dop is worthless and i dont have any choices.

could you all please look at it below and give me an idea of what lenses and techniques were used to acheive these looks.

thanks all.

the main look is actually from use of long lenses combined with light bending objects placed close to the lens like prisms, assorted odd-shaped bottles. check out opening frames of

• Premium Member

Maybe Vaseline on a piece clear flat, sliding that in while the camera runs. And the idea of placing light refracting objects close to the lens is pretty cool too. Must be fun to use a garbage bin glass bottle to create FX for a multimillion ad! :D

Cheers, Dave

• 3 months later...
Maybe Vaseline on a piece clear flat, sliding that in while the camera runs. And the idea of placing light refracting objects close to the lens is pretty cool too. Must be fun to use a garbage bin glass bottle to create FX for a multimillion ad! :D

Cheers, Dave

It's mostly a specialty prism ( Cokin makes one for stills: #217 ) used incrimentally across the frame.

It both throws focus......and streaks the image.

Pete

It's mostly a specialty prism ( Cokin makes one for stills: #217 ) used incrimentally across the frame.

Pete

a DP i worked with used lenses from reading glasses and played with them close to the lens .. It had that look

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

Pete

I've done a similar thing with blocks of plexiglass / perspex (1'x1'x1") put near the edge of the frame, something that director Paul McGuigan (Sherlock) has us try on his episode of "Smash" that airs a week from today.