Was wondering if most people soften them. I've seen a lot of set pics in ASC or just from walking around in the city and usually I don't see the HMI going through any type of diffusion. I know it all depends on the look of the film but isn't that a really harsh light? I guess they have it at a distance so its less harsh. But wondering if people diffuse them a lot.

Thanks

Was wondering if most people soften them. I've seen a lot of set pics in ASC or just from walking around in the city and usually I don't see the HMI going through any type of diffusion. I know it all depends on the look of the film but isn't that a really harsh light? I guess they have it at a distance so its less harsh. But wondering if people diffuse them a lot.

Thanks

Well it really depends wholly on the situation. I don't think anyone would really be able to say yes more often than not they are diffused. As I'm sure you know there's no rule to any light fixture that says it has to be a particular way. You are right that an 12/18k emits a hard light and would be sourcy as hell, but backed up 200 yards lifted 200 feet in the air maybe it wraps the right way.

Personally I would probably bounce it or fly some mus in front of it but it depends on the story and how i want to use that particular unit.

Nick

• Premium Member

Hi Gio,

There are no rules my friend!!!! Break all the rules you want when you light and learn to light.

When I read your post it came to my mind about using scrims. HMI's are pretty hot so scrims

would be safe. Question is would they cut down on the harsh hot light enough? Just a suggestion

and something for you to think about. There are many fine minds and creative minds here on the

forum and I'm sure you will hear from more shooters. I guess when punching an HMI through a

window just act of shooting it through the window causes some drop in intensity. Of course objects

in front of the light(in the room) furniture,white drapes hung,lamp shade on table,actual intensity

of light in room as opposed to the HMI light. apply.

Greg Gross