Dark space in music video.

Hi everyone! In few weeks I will shoot a clip. I have some technique problem and I'd like to share it. We shoot in studio with Sony EX3 letus extreme and carl zeiss lenses. The idea is that each situations and scenes are in somewhere non defined dark area with 1 light about 3 meters above. I hope that this light make a circle of light on the flor ( about 4-5 meters of light area). My question is: Should i use Spot light ? Or Jumbo 2K tungsten with chimera will wor better than spot? I'm also goint to use some front fill with kino Flo with warm tubes.

Second question is about "spce".

I'd like to achive a perspective without walls or anything just one lighted area and evrything outside circle must be dark. Should i have to all of these stuf make on the set or i could fix it in post production like magic bullet or colorist?

PS. I'm not expierience with making post like these cuz i'm new here and still in film school:)

Thanks for all answers, and your time!!

Ted.

I shot yesterday a scene of a music video

where we simulated a visit to a prisoner

on a theater stage.

We suggested the prison with a table,

at which the prisoner and visitor sit and talk,

and a guard somewhere in the background, faintly lit.

The background was black backdrop far away.

The intent was to keep it jet black.

Table was lit from the top with a

hanging theater spot light (1k i think) aimed down.

Brought from high above down to 2.5-3 meters.

Made a beautiful circle of light.

-----

Key/Fill was with bounced tungsten units off beadboards on stands.

Some directly at subjects as back/side light.

-----

Just a softbox won't make you a circle,

not even an rectangular sharp defined area of light.

You need to contain your light.

Skirt it of and/or use grids/eggcrates on the box.

That can create a pool of light, but not a circle.

If you still need somewhat soft top light creating a circle,

try using a circular area softbox or big china ball,

or attach the circle cutout on a rectangular box,

and some deep skirting.

The easiest way would be to go with a spotlight.

Best

Igor

Edited by Igor Trajkovski

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone! In few weeks I will shoot a clip. I have some technique problem and I'd like to share it. We shoot in studio with Sony EX3 letus extreme and carl zeiss lenses. The idea is that each situations and scenes are in somewhere non defined dark area with 1 light about 3 meters above. I hope that this light make a circle of light on the flor ( about 4-5 meters of light area). My question is: Should i use Spot light ? Or Jumbo 2K tungsten with chimera will wor better than spot? I'm also goint to use some front fill with kino Flo with warm tubes.

Second question is about "spce".

I'd like to achive a perspective without walls or anything just one lighted area and evrything outside circle must be dark. Should i have to all of these stuf make on the set or i could fix it in post production like magic bullet or colorist?

PS. I'm not expierience with making post like these cuz i'm new here and still in film school:)

Thanks for all answers, and your time!!

Ted.

hi, tadeusz,

to achieve the limbo effect you desire, the whole environment you are shooting in should be completely black, even the floor. a 2k theater follow-spot would give you the circle of light on the floor. your biggest problem will be the circle of light will register about 4 stops under-exposed compared to the subject's skin tones being black. one solution would be to make the spot light come slightly from the back (like a rim light) so you can light the front (maybe softlight) about three stops lower. the spotlight, being three stops over-exposed will make the circle of light more visible!

boy y

hi, tadeusz,

to achieve the limbo effect you desire, the whole environment you are shooting in should be completely black, even the floor. a 2k theater follow-spot would give you the circle of light on the floor. your biggest problem will be the circle of light will register about 4 stops under-exposed compared to the subject's skin tones being black. one solution would be to make the spot light come slightly from the back (like a rim light) so you can light the front (maybe softlight) about three stops lower. the spotlight, being three stops over-exposed will make the circle of light more visible!

boy y

Thanks for great post:) I want to add that conception of light area has changed. The area don't have to be a circle, it could be just a splash of light. I'm thinking did Space light with raster from chimera would give me quite good effect on the floor. My second problem is that studio is all white, We have black linen to cover the walls, i'd like to put it also on the floor but dirctor want to have white floor and taht is the problem cuz floor will bounce main light.

So:

Did concept with Space light is good? ( Studio height is about 4.5 meters)

Should I talk with director and bring him round to my way:)?

Thanks a lot. Any help is acceptable.

Ted.

Thanks for great post:) I want to add that conception of light area has changed. The area don't have to be a circle, it could be just a splash of light. I'm thinking did Space light with raster from chimera would give me quite good effect on the floor. My second problem is that studio is all white, We have black linen to cover the walls, i'd like to put it also on the floor but dirctor want to have white floor and taht is the problem cuz floor will bounce main light.

So:

Did concept with Space light is good? ( Studio height is about 4.5 meters)

Should I talk with director and bring him round to my way:)?

Thanks a lot. Any help is acceptable.

Ted.

ted,

one space light with a black skirt could work! since a circle of light is no longer imperative, you could lower the light just outside frame giving you a much higher exposure for your subject and hopefully the light hitting the floor diminishes towards blackness. and the floor being white, you'd achieve a nice glow on the floor around your subject , unlike a black floor where your subject will look like he's floating in space if you don't make the circle prominent. hoipe this helps.

boy y

Thanks for all posts. Know i feel I'm ready to shoot. I can introduce my lighting stuff if anyone intrested.

Sony ex1 letus extreme with carl zeiss lenses and Canon 135mm f/2.0 lens

1x SPACE LIGHT with skirt, my main key light.

- 1x jumbo 2kw with Chimera, raster/grid

- 1x Arri 1Kw fresnel

- 1x Arri 1kW fresnel with Chimera/grid

- 2x Arri 650W Fresnel

- 1x kino flo 120cm 4tubes 5600

- 1x kino flo 60cm 4tubes 5600

I'll post link to videoclip when it's done:)

Ted. Tadeusz.