Pulsating light from TV.

Hi everyone! I'm thinking how to create a pulsating source using Kino's to simulate runing TV behind the camera. I have 3 kino flo and couple of tweenies, spot light, lowel rifa with raster.

I thinking about 2 or 3 tweenies connected to 3 difrent dimers. Cooled with CTB gels, and try to pulsate this way. What do You think?

Any ideas about same or better efect using kinos or other lights?

Thx for Your time and take care.

Ted.

• Premium Member

I normally use 1 head (and have to pick a head depending on the scene, but a lot it's been a 300 or a 650) with 1/4CTB sometimes 1/2CTB and 216 for a little softness. I don't think you really need 3 heads doing it on 3 dimmers, that's something that would work better for like a fire-light look, but normally TVs are just 1 source and they dont' really pulsate anyway, rather just change in intensity depending on the shot. The pulsation is just one of our little film things.. like the blue moonlight.

I normally use 1 head (and have to pick a head depending on the scene, but a lot it's been a 300 or a 650) with 1/4CTB sometimes 1/2CTB and 216 for a little softness. I don't think you really need 3 heads doing it on 3 dimmers, that's something that would work better for like a fire-light look, but normally TVs are just 1 source and they dont' really pulsate anyway, rather just change in intensity depending on the shot. The pulsation is just one of our little film things.. like the blue moonlight.

Great. Now i see You're right! Coul'd you tell me whats 216? I know its kind of gel or difiusion material but its so many kinds and types of these things that i'm litle lost about knowing the diference.

thx.

I've gotten some really convincing results from using a small light, tweenie should do it. Gel it with CTB and aim it at your subject. Then have a grip sit right behind the light and gently wave a few fingers in front of the light. The fingers have to be RIGHT in front so as not to create harsh and obvious shadows.

Another light could be a small LED panel, there are hand-held sized LED lights but they are a little pricey. The same gag applies to that light as well.

How big are your Flo's? Are they switchable between 2 and 4 ft? Those might work well too.

I know this method sounds kinda crude but I swear it works. It also works for campfire light as well : http://www.dme-studios.com/portfolio/RCW_Roughin_It.asp

• Premium Member

I've done this with a tweenie on a hand dimmer pushing thru the back of a prop tv with the tube removed and the glass screen papered over, it worked great. If you want a subtle effect, you might consider having a separate key light for the actors and letting the tv gag light be a fill that goes on and off.

I've also done it with Rosco light pads, taping two of them to the tv screen and having a grip turn one on and off for the flicker effect. Works fine unless your talent is wearing glasses! The reflection totally gives the gag away...

• Premium Member

I've done TV flicker so many ways.... still one of the most convincing effects is to just wave your hands and arms randomly in front of a soft light, whether a Kino or Chimera/diffusion framed source. Blue-ish light helps.

Lately, for simplicity's sake (and to not distract the actors by having to stare at me or an electrician making jazz hands in front of a light), I've been putting two Woodylights (like Rifas, with medium Chimera bags), gelled blue or half-blue, side-by-side, attached to two Variac dimmers, and then the electrician just dims each randomly at different rates.

Hi everyone! I'm thinking how to create a pulsating source using Kino's to simulate runing TV behind the camera. I have 3 kino flo and couple of tweenies, spot light, lowel rifa with raster.

I thinking about 2 or 3 tweenies connected to 3 difrent dimers. Cooled with CTB gels, and try to pulsate this way. What do You think?

Any ideas about same or better efect using kinos or other lights?

Thx for Your time and take care.

Ted.

hard fresnel sources don't work as well as softer, broader sources since tv sets are wide sources of light. a 4-bank kino with two bulbs daylight, one bulb tungsten and the last tungsten but with some green gel works well when you fan a very narrow flag up and down across the 4-banks such that the emitted light subtly changed color, since the program being shown shows different hue. quite convincing!