3/4 done with UK/Israeli feature film

Wow! Looks fantastic. Any details on how you rated the camera, how you monitored the image, how you exposed, etc.?

Hey David!

thanks so much for your comment, it's such an honor to hear that from you!

We set our light meters to 250 ISO all the time to be on the safe side and verified the exposure using mostly false colors. We tried to light to a 2.8 1/2 - 2/3rds on ISO 250 all the time so if we run the lens at 2.8 the key would be that much over. We left the camera on it's default settings though and shot everything on 5000K as well. Colorwise we lit to the image we saw at 5000K, as we thought this would be the most efficient workflow to follow through by getting what we wanted into camera as much as possible.

We had a directors monitor (cheap dvi lcd) and for some stuff we had an Astro with waveform on set, which we used a couple of times, but we're quite used to the false colors now after 3 features, so that was more of a reference than the waveform.

What also helped is that we graded a project completely ourselves in Apple Color before that so we know what we can do with the RED material and what we can't. Obviously those are the nice shots but there are of course a few underexposed things as well where you get rushed by schedule and other stuff and just can't add a light after a bit of staging changed.

I think that we've found our sweet spot for a skin-keylight to be 1/2 - 2/3rds a stop over, which is pink anyways on the RED false colors since build 20. So as soon as we had spots of pink and green on the key side of the faces we were happy :). No red no purple as well :)

We're quite happy to see that we get more and more shots where we nail the exposure, we used to have lots of underexposed shots when relying on a monitor instead of false colors.

cheers, Xax

Edited by XiaoSu Han

• Premium Member

As has been said, these look great. I recall the last feature you all just used clip lights. I'm guessing this changed, or am I mistaken?

Also, is it 2 DPs working on this? Your site seems to suggest that. How does that process work? I'm intrigued :D

• Premium Member

Hi Xax,

these are gorgeous. O love the framing on these. And the fact that most oft these would count as bad/good cinematography (as defined by Andrew Laszlo) which I really love as well!

Looking forward to our long planned beer, once you're back in Vienna!

Cheers, Dave

Hey Jerry and Gus, sorry I didn't answer earlier :)

The balance between the interior and the exterior was achieved by a combination of a 6K HMI bounced off silver to add ambient and direction on the actress, a 2.5K HMI off screen through a window with full diffusion on it and an overcast day.

Yes, this is a departure from the last feature where we just did natural and practical lights, we had a proper lighting package from 6K HMI downwards.. different script, different budget, different approach. Also our second feature in 1.85, now back to pickups for something on 2.35, it's so different!

And yeah we work as a two man team, we're both DPing though, which results into one of us operating and the other one being in the classical DP position by the monitor with the director. We swap after each scene, also keeps the framing fresh from scene to scene and it really enhances our work.

hi

great pics thank you for shearing

it's great to see familiar faces at last:)

who is the second DP? is he from Israel?

love the lighting and composition

if you come to Israel sand we can drink coffee:)

Hey Ram,

the second DP is Andreas Thalhammer, we're longtime collaborators...

thanks, let's meet up! we're coming to Tel Aviv in a week! :)

cheers, Xax

thanks guys, we own a Cooke S2/S3 set in BNCR, and it served us quite well..

We didn't use any generator, in our main location, a house, we tied into the mains and drew around 30-32 amps from there... was the cheapest way in the end...

cheers, Xax

• 4 months later...
thanks guys, we own a Cooke S2/S3 set in BNCR, and it served us quite well..

We didn't use any generator, in our main location, a house, we tied into the mains and drew around 30-32 amps from there... was the cheapest way in the end...

cheers, Xax

Hi again!

Interested in seeing more of your work but I can't see the images. Were they pulled out because of restrictions?