no more 64t ?

andy oliver

• Premium Member

Hi Andy, thanks for the news!

I havn't heard anything of a potential S8 E-64 axing.

I agree with you that the discontinuation of E-64 in photo products could spell a further step close to E-64 for Super 8 becoming an end-of-lifetime product, but I am not sure to what extent the emulsion is 100% identical.

Do you have any codes?

• Premium Member

No sorry don't have any codes, pretty sure 64t was reperfed and lubicated etc for super 8 use, from the stills version of 64t. I wonder is kodak will put any cash into giving us a replacement for 64t once supplies are exhausted. ( just hope its not 100d )

Geez forchrissake! I just got into the hobby and have spent many $ on getting set up. Are there any other alternatives if it goes away?? I've heard about Fuji Velvia. Is this a current stock or are we just finding it here and there on flea bay?

Mike

Geez forchrissake! I just got into the hobby and have spent many $ on getting set up. Are there any other alternatives if it goes away?? I've heard about Fuji Velvia. Is this a current stock or are we just finding it here and there on flea bay?

Mike

I know opinions are like ass*****, but I think Fuji Velvia 50D is far better looking than 64T. When people call it DisneyChrome, it seems like a cut, but who wants stale colors?. The colors are far warmer and breath taking than 64T.

I love Kodak products, but for color reversal Fuji 50D is the way to go. Unless they bring back 7240.

Hi, just clocked this on the kodachrome project forum

http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526

appears kodak has axed 64t, this surely must have a knock on effect to super 8 64t!!

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professiona...3319/1229/13393

There is Fuji Velvia in Double Super 8 for Scoopic and Bolex RX4 DS8 on 100ft spool.

guy@cameraspro.com

• Premium Member

Each to his own, i've exposed Circushrome, nice and sharp, bit too jittery for me, some people like 64t as it gives one a more grainy super 8 look ( yes i was anti 64t at first ). However reperfed 50d in my experiance does not transport well thru my super 8 cameras, or my 16mm SR2. For that reason, i stick to kodak perfed products. I agree 50d is the way to go in reversal film, i just wished fuji would perf and optimize the film for MP work....

I think there's nothing bad in this for today.

Or maybe you need the 64T for your 35mm or M-format? :)

Surely there can be a risk of Super-8 E64T discontinuation but I don't think that Super-8 will end on this.

dito on that. the end of 64t in the line of still film products is a very different thing to the end of 64t in super 8. If sales of super 8 64t get to fall as low as the sales of 35mm+ still film 64t has before it goes to the wall, then it will be around for a long time.

richard

Since they derived S8 64T from the slide film a few years back, I'm sure it will be going out along with it too. And thank God... it was a mistake to offer it in the first place, since 100D looks 10 times better in S8 and will meter accurate in all S8 cameras. I'm pretty sure they will replace 64T with E100D finally too. That would really give the format a boost. It will help keep the stock alive too, as it is awsome to shoot in 35mm stills, 16mm MP, and 35mm MP. The thought of getting fresh clean carts of E100D straight from Kodak at normal prices make my mouth water... Bye Bye 64T

I was looking at Filmshooting.com, and a thread there said they were going to do away with 100d as well.

I am a frugal ( read cheap) hobbyist who is just learning how to shoot film. If the kodak ends 64t, what is the next el cheapo option up from the direct form the kodak/walmart/dyi telecine routine? Can I telecine negative stocks, and convert it on my mac, or will I have to use a lab that is considerably more than the $25 a cart I am spending now.

I was looking at Filmshooting.com, and a thread there said they were going to do away with 100d as well.

I am a frugal ( read cheap) hobbyist who is just learning how to shoot film. If the kodak ends 64t, what is the next el cheapo option up from the direct form the kodak/walmart/dyi telecine routine? Can I telecine negative stocks, and convert it on my mac, or will I have to use a lab that is considerably more than the $25 a cart I am spending now.

It's a different stock than what the 7285 is cut from

That same link announces the discontinuation of 100 Plus, the stills stock. One can't imagine that this is different from 100D, or that the demand for the 16mm. version is greater than that for the still film. Pwerhaps they have stocks of the cine films, so aren't announcing their demise yet.

If E64T stills are done, so is the S8 version, sorry. They are/WERE cut from the same master roll.

Isn't it like saying that because people don't buy rump anymore we are going to do away with the whole cow?

As long as people are still buying T-Bones the cow survives!?!

Read T-bone = S8 64t

& Rump = E64t still

Mad cow disease.....I know :lol:

Is it posible that Kodak has not anouced the death of 64t because they are going to create a new colour reversal film out of some of thier remaining slide films? Just a guess here, but I think that 64t is probabley their best selling super 8 stock based on it being a reversal. If they axe it and don't replace it, a good portion of the super 8 market will dry up as people just give it up as too expensive. As user volumes go down, busness expences go up, and more super 8 service providers will start withdraw.

on the plus side, however, the super8 film buyers have aparently been very loyal over the years to keep the art form alive. I think that if Kodak does have a slide film suitable for conversion, they would boslter it's sales, and keep the viabilty of it's super 8 production line by doing so.

Is it posible that Kodak has not anouced the death of 64t because they are going to create a new colour reversal film out of some of thier remaining slide films? Just a guess here, but I think that 64t is probabley their best selling super 8 stock based on it being a reversal. If they axe it and don't replace it, a good portion of the super 8 market will dry up as people just give it up as too expensive. As user volumes go down, busness expences go up, and more super 8 service providers will start withdraw.

on the plus side, however, the super8 film buyers have aparently been very loyal over the years to keep the art form alive. I think that if Kodak does have a slide film suitable for conversion, they would boslter it's sales, and keep the viabilty of it's super 8 production line by doing so.

If were lucky, they will load the 7285 100D into S8 carts. It's a lot finer grain and much more colorful than 64T. I like it a lot better than K40 too. It's what they should have came out with in 2005, 64T was a bad call. S8 would be a lot better off with 7285, people should write Kodak and call for it ;)

Is it posible that Kodak has not anouced the death of 64t because they are going to create a new colour reversal film out of some of thier remaining slide films?

Maybe they haven't announced anything because they are not considering any death yet for the E64t in Super8...

• Premium Member
Maybe they haven't announced anything because they are not considering any death yet for the E64t in Super8...

They haven't announced it yet, as there is possibly a stock pile of the stuff. Pretty much like when they announced the end of super 8 k40, 16mm k40 was spared for another twelve months ( less users, more of a stock pile ). Imo, the end of 64t will be soon, maybe 1-2 years....