Shooting 7285 for Cross Processing - HELP!

Ashley Barron

Hi there,

I am shooting a scene on 7285 100D Reversal that will be Cross Processed. I have not had time to test and am going off other peoples' experiences and various articles written on the topic.

Many of these sources contradict one another.

I have been told that the range is approx. 2 stops over and 2-3 stops under. However, looking at the article on the Camera Guild wesbite, the range seems even less so, especially for the Green emulsion. The article also states that the Red emulsion has 8 stops of range, but according to the LAD curve, it doesn't appear to have any more than 3.5 stops..

In addition, I have researched into a couple of tests where one rates the '85 at EI200 for Cross Processing, while others don't make any compensations. I have been told that is better to rate it 1/3 faster to gain more density..

Finally, I am aware that Green saturates much faster than the other colors, but I am still unsure as to how to keep this in mind when shooting. Do I reduce the amount of green in the costume/production design? Is there a way of minimising the green hue that results from Cross Processing?

If anyone can give me some advice on shooting with this stock and what to expect when CP'd, especially when it comes to color, that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Finally, I am aware that Green saturates much faster than the other colors, but I am still unsure as to how to keep this in mind when shooting. Do I reduce the amount of green in the costume/production design? Is there a way of minimising the green hue that results from Cross Processing?

I'm really not at all clear as to why you are shooting 7285 for cross-processing. I presume you are looking for the effect that this non-standard process gives - so why do you ask about ways to minimise these results?

You will indeed get an image with more saturation in the green/magenta direction than in other colours, and more overall contrast - which is what reduces the brightness range it can handle.

You will of course get a negative image on the film, so the final results will be determined largely by what you do on telecine.

I have been told that is better to rate it 1/3 faster to gain more density..

If you rate any stock faster, it will give you less density if it is processed as a negative. The lightness or darkness of the final positive image is determined by how you then make the transfer.

Have you discussed this with your lab? As it is a non-standard process (which is therefore to a certain extent unpredictable and unguaranteed) they will probably want to lay down some conditions, but might have some recommendations. Those will probably include the words "test, test, test".

While I agree with the above responses, part of the allure of x-processing and alternative processes is the sometimes unexpected results. Obviously this could spell disaster if the powers that be hate the results, hence the reason one should test, test, test . . . But then again, that is how a cinematographer learns: by experimenting. The trick is trying to not doing it when the stakes are so high, which they seem to be in this case.

I don't think the range becomes as shallow as you mention. I remember lighting this Spot (5285 Cross Processed) just a bit flatter than usual. This spot was my Test... sometimes you just have to go for it. These aren't the cleanest SD screen grabs but they will give you an idea.

post-31017-1259582799.jpg

post-31017-1259582830.jpg

post-31017-1259582963.jpg