has anyone used elite anamorphic lenses?

Ian Coad

has anyone used the elite anamorphic lenses - or does anyone know of any films available for viewing that i could check out? hell, i'd even be happy if i could just see some stills.

any advice or personal stories would be great.

-ian.

has anyone used the elite anamorphic lenses - or does anyone know of any films available for viewing that i could check out? hell, i'd even be happy if i could just see some stills.

-ian.

I tested a set along with a set of Hawks. I did not like them. The set I got was poorly maintained and I imagine or hope you could get a better set. I did not like the overall look. They were uneven, the colors didn't match from lens to lens. They were just not very good. The Hawks were nice but big and heavy. I'm just one person so maybe someone else had a better experience.

I was a second AC on a shoot that used a set of Elites on the RED. I think the director just finished the edit so I will post any update I see about it. They were nicely maintained and sharp. We got them from Handheld in NY. The only problem is sometimes they wouldn't sit completely horizontal in the mount and so the image was a little crooked. Obviously we fixed that before we shot but it did require more force than we would've liked.

I tested a set along with a set of Hawks. I did not like them. The set I got was poorly maintained and I imagine or hope you could get a better set. I did not like the overall look. They were uneven, the colors didn't match from lens to lens. They were just not very good. The Hawks were nice but big and heavy. I'm just one person so maybe someone else had a better experience.

could you tell me what rental house you got these from? secondly, i wanted to ask where i could get hawkes from because i've had a lot of difficulty finding a house that rents them in the LA area.

and rob, to see any photos would be great.

could you tell me what rental house you got these from? secondly, i wanted to ask where i could get hawkes from because i've had a lot of difficulty finding a house that rents them in the LA area.

I don't remember the guys name. Russian guy, here in LA. I think Camtec may still have a set of Hawkes.

Elite Optics - the new, modern generation of russian anamorphic lenses, to take the cradle of design a LOMO anamorphic lenses.

Contacts:

Address: 52 Sofiyskaya street, St. Petersburg 192241, Russia

Phone: +7 812 708-7502

Fax: +7 812 708-8239

E-mail: optika-elite@mail.ru

Web site: http://www.optica-elite.com

Territorial representative.

North America: DILLER / SERVICE CENTER

Slow Motion, Inc.

Anatoly Taldykin

Phone: (818) 982-4400

Fax: (818) 982-8500

E-mail: Anatoly@slowmotioninc.com

slowmotioninc@sbcglobal.net

Web site: http://www.www.slowmotioninc.com

I wish underline.

The any anamorphic lens, LOMO, Elite lenses too - this is complex system of mechanical and optical parts.

If you wish have high quality of image, the lenses must be serviced, adjusted and tested.

That's why, the serviced lenses can show or real result of quality of image.

About problem , wjat had Rob:

"The only problem is sometimes they wouldn't sit completely horizontal in the mount and so the image was a little crooked. "

The horizontal adjusting of anamoprhic lens - one step of standard procedure of adjusting of anamoprhic lens.

If the lens had do not correct horizontal adjusting - the lens do not serviced at full, or lens mount of camera have do not standard position.

Any case, the horizontal adjusting of LOMO lens do not complex procedure, need unsecrew of one screw on a few turns only , to change of horizontal position of lens mount and jam of screw.

-ian.

Elite Optics - the new, modern generation of russian anamorphic lenses, to take the cradle of design a LOMO anamorphic lenses.

Contacts:

Slow Motion, Inc.

Anatoly Taldykin

I wish underline.

The any anamorphic lens, LOMO, Elite lenses too - this is complex system of mechanical and optical parts.

If you wish have high quality of image, the lenses must be serviced, adjusted and tested.

"The only problem is sometimes they wouldn't sit completely horizontal in the mount and so the image was a little crooked. "

The horizontal adjusting of anamoprhic lens - one step of standard procedure of adjusting of anamoprhic lens.

If the lens had do not correct horizontal adjusting - the lens do not serviced at full, or lens mount of camera have do not standard position.

Any case, the horizontal adjusting of LOMO lens do not complex procedure, need unsecrew of one screw on a few turns only , to change of horizontal position of lens mount and jam of screw.

-ian.

Contacts:

Slow Motion, Inc.

Anatoly Taldykin

I wish underline.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

-ian.

I used them on a recent short in NYC shot on Red One. I quite liked them.

The Director and I tested a set from Du All Camera against a set of S4s, Zeiss super speeds and Red Pro primes. We found, at least for this project, that the Elite Anamorphics performed as well as the other sets, matched well and had a look to them that was very appealing.

Some stills from the shoot are up here:

http://blog.localheropost.com/main/2009/10...ies-part-3.html

We did run into minimal amounts of problems with the lenses sitting in the mount straight. Once one is aware of this though it is easy to look for and fix. Also they are quite heavy and large making the red look like a canon and a impractical for large amounts of handheld or shooting in extremely tight spaces. (We shot part of the film down the galley of big boat and ran into this issue)

There was a little chromatic aberration on the 24mm and the 50mm was out for a tune up so I can only speak for the 35mm, 75mm & 135mm focal lengths but I would definitely use that set again.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Their website seems to be fine: http://www.slowmotioninc.com/ You just have to click on the "Continue to..." link in the bottom right corner. That takes you to the main site.

I emailed them a little while ago, to ask if their Elites were used on a particular film, and Anatoly responded that they were. Nice guy.

And the film in question was "Jolene", which will be out on Blu-ray soon. I know that crazy Greek movie "Dogtooth" also shot on them.

Edited by Shawn Martin