I think my camera might be under-running

Joshua Mark Hammond

When looking through the viewfinder if the K3, I've noticed that there seems to be slightly more flicker than usual, when at 24fps, it looks more like 22fps of flicker. I could always just adjust the frame per second to 26 to account for it. But I was hoping to fix it, is there a way I can measure the frame speed?

Or is it better if I just get it all serviced?

• Premium Member
, is there a way I can measure the frame speed?

Or is it better if I just get it all serviced?

You can get fairly close by loading it with leader or scrap film. Draw a line and run for 10 seconds. that should be 240 frames at 40 frames a foot.

or about 6 feet of leader. It will be a bit off because it does take a frame or three for the Camera to start up or slow down. but if you get 5 feet you know you are off.

The tech doing service might have a tach and measure the speed that the sprockets go to get a more accurate reading. Naturally if the "quick Check" fails or if you are still unsure it may be worthwhile to get the unit checked.

LDR or a photodiode, flat battery outta ya kids toys, hat with propeller on it and a DMM in freq mode :D

Squish it all up in some easter egg foil wrappers and there's ya tachometer

There are easier ways but people think I'm joking when I describe them :rolleyes:

I was wondering the same thing a while back and had someone (I think from this board) recommend this: Look through the viewfinder while aiming the lens at a TV screen. Adjust the shutter speed until the bars stop rolling, and you have 25 fps if you are in PAL country like you and I. Compare that to the reading on the dial to see if you are way off mark. This worked really well for me, and let me mark my dial for a more accurate reading.

Good luck!

Kristian

...Look through the viewfinder while aiming the lens at a TV screen. Adjust the shutter speed until the bars stop rolling, and you have 25 fps if you are in PAL country like you and I. Compare that to the reading on the dial to see if you are way off mark. This worked really well for me, and let me mark my dial for a more accurate reading...

Technically you could also be at some other even multiple of 25fps, eg. 12.5 or 50 fps - but the difference should be large enough to hear if you're that far off in practice!

I use this technique to fine tune the speed on both my K3 (dial quite a way off) and also my Beaulieu R16 (needle pointer almost spot on). It comes as no suprise to hear the electrically governed R16 holds the speed constant a lot better than the K3, but even so, the K3 can be tuned pretty accurately! Personally I put a dummy test load of film in the camera whilst I adjust the speed so everything is under load.