I'm going to buy a bolex rex4 ds8 and, since I already own a beaulieu 4008

with schneider 6-70 lens, I was thinking about adding a c-mount to the bolex

in order to use that lens on it. Does anybody know if it will fit? what about

vignetting? Any other cons?

Thanks

david

Guest uoliwils
Yeah, the Rex 4 used C-mounts!

in the end I bought the rx4 with three prime lens. But you can use c-mount lenses with slight modifications.

try this link if you want to know more

http://www.city-net.com/~fodder/bolex/truth.html

I purchased the camera from JKCAMERA, it's more expensive than buying it from Ebay, but at least I'm sure I'm buying something serviced and working properly.

If you're interested in this format also visit www.doublesuper8.com and the yahoo group (you'll find the link on this site). But probably you've already been there!

david

Wow, so you paid the $848 for that camera? Not sure if I can do that. Seems expensive. I'm gonna have to think about it. I don't plan to film with it anyway, just copy film. Since John is finally selling K40 DS8 in the states for $35 a roll, it seems DS8 isn't a bad option. I wonder if I can still get it developed at Cala Foods.

Guest uoliwils
Wow, so you paid the $848 for that camera? Not sure if I can do that. Seems expensive. I'm gonna have to think about it. I don't plan to film with it anyway, just copy film. Since John is finally selling K40 DS8 in the states for $35 a roll, it seems DS8 isn't a bad option. I wonder if I can still get it developed at Cala Foods.

It is expensive, you can find it on ebay for far less. But I wanted to be sure about what I was buying. (also I live in Italy so the dollar/euro exchange makes it cheaper, even if it has to be shipped overseas).

You can also look for a scoopic ds8, but it has a fixed lens so I don't know if it's good for you.

in the end I bought the rx4 with three prime lens. But you can use c-mount lenses with slight modifications.

I purchased the camera from JKCAMERA, it's more expensive than buying it from Ebay, but at least I'm sure I'm buying something serviced and working properly.

If you're interested in this format also visit www.doublesuper8.com and the yahoo group (you'll find the link on this site). But probably you've already been there!

david

Hey, sometimes you've gotta pay the big bucks if you want to make REALLY sure you are getting what you are supposed to get.

Take forf instance my case, I didn't get what I was supposed to get.

I payed $213 for a regular 8mm Bolex H8, and then I found out that it only took Super 8 film in rolls...I was outraged!...then I thought that it wasn't that bad after all...

People, I have started a forum in the site, solely dedicated to DS8, we will love to have you there, so be my guests.

-Angel Dragon

• 1 month later...

david

Hey David,

I have a switar 5.5mm from an H8rx, and i'm trying to put it on my beaulieu 6008. Have you been successful in doing this? I heard that the mounts on the switar h8 lenses aren't compatible with other c mount cameras. Is this true? Also, what is the modification that JK camera does (increased coverage)?. Thanks.

Matt

The problem with using the schnieder, I assume coming off a beaulieu, is that there is a rear lense element that projects slightly further than the rear thread, at least on the lovely 6-66. The end result of mounting this on the H8 would be that you would render some rather expensive damage to your reflex prism when you try to thread that lense. Not that I have tried mind you, but it looked a too close for comfort. I have seen the rear of few angenieux lenses and they seem to be more workable in this regards, as their rerar elements are flush with the threads.

The Bolex H8 mount furthermore is not a true c mount either, I would have to look up the exact figure but the back focus is slightly shallower than it would be on a true c mount. From what I understand and what I have discussed with a venerable Bolex technician is that any lense stopped down past say f4 should work perfectly. Here is an article which tell you more than you ever need to know about the reflex system:

The only way you could get a true c mount on these cameras is swapping out the faceplate for a H16 version, which has other advantages besides, but like everything else in this world that costs $$$.

Guest uoliwils
Hey David,

I have a switar 5.5mm from an H8rx, and i'm trying to put it on my beaulieu 6008.  Have you been successful in doing this?  I heard that the mounts on the switar h8 lenses aren't compatible with other c mount cameras.  Is this true?  Also, what is the modification that JK camera does (increased coverage)?.  Thanks.

Matt

hi matt,

I also have a beaulieu 4008 and i tried both the 5.5 and the 12.5 switars on it. They are both out of focus. Beware, "increased coverage" means literally "increased coverage", not "no vignetting". (On mine at least. Not too much anyway and mostly wide open).

but in the end I have to agree with all the people who says that wide shots are not the best choice for super8. I feel I'm loosing too much detail, so I prefer using the 12.5. But this is only my opinion, and it depends on what you're shooting.

Guest uoliwils
The problem with using the schnieder, I assume coming off a beaulieu, is that there is a rear lense element that projects slightly further than the rear thread, at least on the lovely 6-66. The end result of mounting this on the H8 would be that you would render some rather expensive damage to your reflex prism when you try to thread that lense. Not that I have tried mind you, but it looked a too close for comfort. I have seen the rear of few angenieux lenses and they seem to be more workable in this regards, as their rerar elements are flush with the threads.

The Bolex H8 mount furthermore is not  a true c mount either, I would have to look up the exact figure but the back focus is slightly shallower than it would be on a true c mount.  From what I understand and what I have discussed with a venerable Bolex technician is that any lense stopped down past say f4 should work perfectly. Here is an article which tell you more than you ever need to know about the reflex system:

The only way you could get a true c mount on these cameras is swapping out the faceplate for a H16 version, which has other advantages besides, but like everything else in this world that costs $$$.

thanks for the reply, but meanwhile I realized the switars are MUCH better than my 6-70 so I choose them.

I also managed to repair my beaulieu so I can use the bolex for the primes and the beaulieu for zoom shots.

I read that article (the bolex truth), it's really useful!

Regarding what the bolex technician said I believe he means the film will be in focus, maybe because of the great depth of field of super8, but I'm not sure of what you're going to see in the viewfinder. I'm not a technician so I might be dead wrong.

thanks

David

Guest uoliwils
hi matt,

I also have a beaulieu 4008 and i tried both the 5.5 and the 12.5 switars on it. They are both out of focus. Beware, "increased coverage" means literally "increased coverage", not "no vignetting". (On mine at least. Not too much anyway and mostly wide open).

but in the end I have to agree with all the people who says that wide shots are not the best choice for super8. I feel I'm loosing too much detail, so I prefer using the 12.5. But this is only my opinion, and it depends on what you're shooting.

I have to be more precise, the vignetting I got on my footage (and don't forget it's my first shot with ds8) is more noticeable on the upper side of the frame, so maybe it's due to some slack and consequent misalignement of the turret. This is because there's some locking device for the turret, and on the instruction manual they say you need it only for the heavier tele lens, so I didn't use it that time.

I'll confirm this when I see the next rolls developed.

BTW JK did a great job in converting it.