December - Scenes From A Short - Scene 1

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Just starting production on a short film I wrote, and am directing, called 'December'. The story is about a guy named Matt in his early 30's who is a little down and out on life. Caught in the ebb and flow of his existence he spends his days hanging out with his best friend Ryan. As a snow storm rolls into town they drive around in Ryan's beat up car and trade stories and one liners that might just be masked metaphors for life.

The first scene we shot was a scene in a diner with Matt and his girlfriend Rebecca. This breakfast date is a reassuring scene in the film, occurring about 2/3rds of the way through the piece, where she reminds him that she loves him, even when he's feeling like he's really got nothing to offer their relationship right now.

Yours truly on the left with DP Brook Aitken

IMG_4748.jpg

Actress Libby Arnold

IMG_4741.jpg

Actor Jeremy Make + Audio Steve Schwedt

IMG_4738.jpg

Production Stills

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

Technical Specs:

HPX170 - no adapters

2.39:1 Aspect Ratio - cropping in post

24fps

Decided to shoot with the HPX170 for several reasons, namely that I own a full package with all accessories, secondly because we plan on shooting some 60fps snow/winter landscapes, and finally because we needed to be able to cram the camera + DP, sound, and me into the backseat of a car for several scenes. Decided against any sort of adapter in an effort to keep it simple.

The light for this scene was a 1K with a Chimera and a 650 with a Chimera, bounce card when we got in close. There was a large window with daylight coming in from the left hand side of the wide photographs and while we were shooting from 2-4:30PM, the light worked perfectly as the scene was a breakfast scene.

I'll be posting some screen grabs soon...