Cine Sanctuary Small Format Telecine Service

grantbennett2

Hello All.

I was hoping you might be able to give me details of your requirements when having newly shot S8 reversal and negative film transfered. I have worked as a professional colourist for fifteen years, and have recently started my own transfer company. I also work as a freelance colourist.

For 16mm and 35mm transfers I use either a Philips Shadow or a Spirit 4K recording to standard def formats and HD CAM or HD CAM SR.

Super 8, Regular 8 and 9.5mm are another matter. Presently I offer a "Domestic" service using High quality projectors , a sony vcr1 multiplexer, and video camera direct into a mac for colour-correction

in Apple Color. This gives very good results (they pass my critical eye test).

My future plan is to purchase a professional machine, Flash scan HD is my favourite choice.

I know that a lot of film makers who shoot on small format, do with the view to going back to film after post production.

So please advise me what file format you require your initial transfers to.

I would also like to offer a final grading service, this could be a graded rushes type service or a grade of your cut film.

Any advice from your experiences good or bad.

Please take a look at my website www.cinesanctuary.co.uk

Many thanks

Grant Bennett

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

These days you will probably want to dump the projector transfer route. No one but students are going to want that, more than likely.

I think you'll need to be able to transfer to ProRes 444 and be able to keep up with whatever is next or similar. Pretty much everything you do will need to go out on a hard drive.

As far as anyone hoping to do a film-out later, I don't see much of that going on these days and very, very rarely from S8. The most anyone can hope for is large festival venues and they will be looking for HDCam or Digibeta. Some will do BluRay but that is rare. Film-outs for small indie movies are almost over with unless they are looking to blow money and are lucky enough to have that option.

• Premium Member

Hey Vince,

The new Spirit is up and running as of Friday. We're getting the Super 8mm gate for our Spirit installed next week. I think that will make us the only Super 8mm capable Spirit Datacine in the US (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Can't wait to start doing some ProRes 4444 direct-to-drive transfers. The Diamond Clear HD system we still have from the URSA looks good but is only 422 through the uprez path. Definitely excited to see real HD and 2K 4444 ProRes from Super 8mm!

-Paul

• Site Sponsor
I think that will make us the only Super 8mm capable Spirit Datacine in the US (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

As far as I know Technicolor has a Super-8 gate for their Spirit(s) we have run large S8 ECN jobs for them which were going on their Spirit(s)....

-Rob-

• Premium Member
As far as I know Technicolor has a Super-8 gate for their Spirit(s) we have run large S8 ECN jobs for them which were going on their Spirit(s)....

-Rob-

Good to know Rob. I wonder if the Spirit they have that does Super 8mm is 2K capable? The only thing I've ever seen posted on here about 2K Super 8mm from a Spirit was from a long time ago with Kodak Rochester experimenting with 2K Spirit scans. I'm aware that Technicolor has more than one Spirit and definitely has some that do 2K and 4K but you can't just swap Super 8mm gates on Spirit systems like you can with a Cintel system. The "Super 8mm Option Kit" actually consists of a gate, rollers, deck plates, and software/firmware update that enables Super 8mm scanning on the machine (all very costly) so it's likely that they only run Super 8mm on one Spirit that may or may not be able to 2K Data. I'll call someone up and ask.

-Paul

• Site Sponsor

The super-8 scan kit option was only available on the original SDC2000 Spirit not the newer Spirit-HD 2K 4K series most dailies machines (that I have seen) in shops in NY (with 5 or 6 Spirit's) were original SDC2000 units. I think most of Technicolor's machines are of this era but I could be wrong as I do not work there....

-Rob-