Workflow Suggestion

Hey all,

I have I have just finished shooting a film on standard 16mm at 25fps framed for 16:9 and looking to finish on HDcamSR. I am hoping to do this the cheapest and best way possible. Here is what I thought I'd do. If anyone has any alternative suggestions or comments that would be great.

Direct to disk transfer to Apple ProRes 4:2:2(HQ) 1920x1080 25p

Edit/Colour grade in Final Cut Pro

Output Sequence as Apple ProRes 4:2:2(HQ) 1920x1080 25p

Transfer file to HDCam SR

P.S I am usually quite happy with the grade on the rushes transfer so little correction would be necessary

Any suggestions/comments?????

• Premium Member

There are TV shows that worked in a very similar manner, except doing 24p from 3 perf 35, and using Final Cut Studio. See what prices you get for original flavor HDCam vs. SR, and consider 4:2:2 vs. 4:4:4. What you have to do is pick one of the two price/performance combinations.

-- J.S.

Yes I have final cut studio, is the choice between 25p and 24p an aesthetical decision?

Bearing in mind there is no dialogue in this film, and it is shot at 25fps what would happen if I transfered at 24p?

• Premium Member

You could do a transferr to HDCamSR as well as to disk uncorrected, then go back in and do a tape to tape based off of an EDL from the original HDCamSR to a new HDCamSR with all your audio/titles/fxs together. It'd be a little more costly, perhaps, but I certainly think you'd wind up with a better master as well as a nice uncorrected HDCamSR master of all your footage.

• Premium Member
In final cut studio, is 4:4:4 an Apple ProRes codec? I am trying to find it in the Audio/Video settings of version 6.06.

ProRes 444 is only on FCP 7, or the latest version of Final Cut Studio (3). In FCP 6 or FCS 2, your choices are ProRes422 or ProRes422 (HQ).

• Premium Member
Bearing in mind there is no dialogue in this film, and it is shot at 25fps what would happen if I transfered at 24p?

Not much. You'd be seeing everything about 4% slow while you worked on it, which hardly anybody can even detect. Stuff shot at 25 is shown at 24 and vice versa all the time.

-- J.S.