K-3 Film Load

gabor lacza

Someone please help me with some detaild step by step guide on how to load the film into the Krasnogorosk-3 camera.I think I did it right today but after shooting for 3 minutes I realized that the film not even moving in the camera.

When I first loaded it it moved ok for a bit and I dont know what happened !!!

Please help me with this.

Gabor

Someone please help me with some detaild step by step guide on how to load the film into the Krasnogorosk-3 camera.I think I did it right today but after shooting for 3 minutes I realized that the film not even moving in the camera.

When I first loaded it it moved ok for a bit and I dont know what happened !!!

Please help me with this.

Gabor

a little searching and wha-la http://www.geocities.com/russiancamera/16m...film-manual.htm

hope this helps :)

Guest Frank Gossimier

Yeah that's Olexandr Kalynychenko's site, great guy! If you need tech help or repairs he's the man I reccomend him highly.

The main thing to remember when loading the K3 is to make sure the film is well clear of those plastic loop guides, otherwise the film will be scratched to heck!

Pulse the film through the camera at 8 fps. Once the top loop is created and the film is in the gate, loosen the film transport guide on the top of the sprocket roller and pull it BACK at least one perf. This will make sure the film does not hit the loop guide.

I know they expand once the cover is on, but in my experience you can't trust this, and pulling back one perf will help guarantee scratchless film. Do the same for the bottom loop as well, don't forget.

Run the camera at 8 fps with the cover off for several seconds. Make sure the film is not hitting the loop guides and that the take up reel is taking up. Wind a good chunk of film onto the take up reel, don't be stingey.

Finally, run the camera at 24 fps to make sure every thing is good, then put on the cover. Now run several seconds with the lens cap on to get rid of all the exposed film from the loading.

The camera is now ready for the first real shot of the production.

You can check to ensure proper transport and take up while you shoot, just take the cover off and look. Before you do, shoot several seconds of black so that your previous work is protected on the take up reel. Always do this in a darkened area with no bright or direct sun light.

There's a lot you can do with a K3, I've pushed them beyond the limits.

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

These two guides - the post and the website - have helped me a bunch. Thank you!

However I have a small problem. My k3 did not come with any spools. I have 6 various speed 100' new Kodak daylight spools, but no empty ones. So how does this work? When I load a new spool of film, do I have to put it in another spool or does it load as is into the camera? And for the takeup spool, what do I use? I have seen one person comment I can use a used daylight spool, is this right or do I need something else? And then when I send in the takeup spool for developing and telecine do I just put it back in the box that it came in?

Thank you in advance.

• Premium Member
These two guides - the post and the website - have helped me a bunch.  Thank you!

However I have a small problem.  My k3 did not come with any spools.  I have 6 various speed 100' new Kodak daylight spools, but no empty ones.  So how does this work?  When I load a new spool of film, do I have to put it in another spool or does it load as is into the camera?  And for the takeup spool, what do I use?  I have seen one person comment I can use a used daylight spool, is this right or do I need something else?  And then when I send in the takeup spool for developing and telecine do I just put it back in the box that it came in?

Thank you in advance.

Just use old daylight spools like 100 foot loads come on. Then just keep the feed one adn send the takeup one to the lab.

Thanks for the suggestions. Wow, I'd really appreciate that and Id be willing to pay for postage but I think France to Idaho will take awhile and be pretty expensive. I will call AlphaCine tomorrow and see if they can send me one. As I figure it, I just need one, because as I go through 1 spool, that will be the one I'll use as a takeup spool on the next load.

Really, thank you for your help and willingness to send. I'm hoping to breakthrough with a new method of filmmaking, being able to use a k3 and a video camera and come out the other side with a high def file with synched sound.