Cinematography

Rana Gebran

I think you need to ask a more specific question (lighting? composition? movement? editing?), though I will point out the things that stand out to me about The Mirror -

The jumps from B+W to color.

The stunning use of slow motion.

The cool white light creeping in through the windows of the farm house, and the soft golden glow inside the farmhouse.

The austere cool interior of the modern apartment of the protagonist.

The flat, overcast exteriors shots and the use of nature (wind, water, fire.)

The burning barn sequence, which is about as perfect film making as I have ever seen. The elegant dolly through the house with the running children, and revealing the burning barn through the dripping water of the door frame.

The use of light that changes mid shot - this one especially stands out to me because I strive to do the same in my work. By this I mean that during a shot, the light will dim as if a cloud passes over the sun, leaving a harder, contrasty image. Moments later the light will blossom back, giving a lower contrast look that feels so different from what came before. Very moving.

Also, as the young alyosha looks at his reflection in the mirror, the warm, safe, comforting glow on his face slowly fades and is replaced by the cold, harsher light from outside. I think thats as close as a Thesis Statement expressed in lighting that you will find in any film, ever.

Hope this all helps.

• Premium Member
we are emphasizing on all that you have mention plus the esthetics in the film.

you really did help a lot, i wish i could discuss more of Tarkovsky's films with you.

thanks again.

Kudos to your professor for picking Tarkovsky to analyze. If you have not yet seen it, check out "Solaris."

I'm studying Tarkovsky's The Mirror, but i'm having a little bit hard time elaborating what i see, can anyone help?

I like this short interview with Tarkovsky about the film. It probably won't help with analysis, but it's an interesting read.

http://zakka.dk/euroscreenwriters/intervie...rkovsky_527.htm

Are you also studying Ivan's Childhood? It's a beautiful film.

yes i've seen that one. it's a very nice film and yet very hard to interpret.

i was wondering if you would be interested in having a little chat about those films, it would be really helpful for me to understand them, since i'm merely an amateur in cinematography.