I've been Banned from Reduser

Stephen Williams

I was asked by a Director to help him out on a TV show taking over as the DOP in January, 1 day a week, 4 EX3's shot simultainousely recorded on hard drives. I am absolutely blown away by the images lit with tungsten light, there is no post grading just light & shoot, having full control of the look of my images again is wonderful.

Yes, there's a certain fun aspect to doing everything in camera.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Haha,looks that I'm in good company being banned from Reduser.

I see your ban has been lifted Stephen.

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom,

I can't imagine you could have said anything out of place, & your a customer, do tell more!

My ban ended 2 years earlier than expected!

Best

Stephen

post-3524-1265228688.jpg

• Premium Member
100fps... MX is most impressive.... a RED One with a RAW port

Have they ever made one? Have any of these technologies ever existed in a concrete form? In short, does any of this stuff actually exist?

Or is this another instance of the Red crowd confusing things that they have done with things they're dreaming of doing?

P

• Premium Member

Hi Stephen,

A cautionary tale,really rather pathetic,it's very easy to get banned from Reduser,but for the boards delectation, here's all the gory details as I remember them,it was a quite while ago.

I posted a critical comment about a subject and got an extremely rude reply from an administrator.

I happened to point out the rules of the house,which state that you shouldn't post anything that would get you a punch in the nose in a bar,and that the administrator would get a punch in the nose if he said it to me in person.

I then received an extremely foul mouthed DM from said administrator,accusing me of threatening him and banning me in perpetuity.

I was really only joking,but it taught me a valuable lesson about what you can say over the internet.

It kind of pissed me off at the time,especially the venom expressed in the message and the language used.

I must say that if any employee of mine had replied to a paying client in such a manner,their feet wouldn't have touched the ground as I threw them out the door.

However,on very occasional visits to Reduser I see things haven't changed much,still a load of rubbish posted by the majority,obscuring the interesting post's by the few.

BTW the administrator wasn't Jarred.

Hope you're keeping busy,I'm going to Basel end of March to see a client. I might have some time in Zurich for a beer if you're around.

Regards

Tom.

• Premium Member
from another pov this has unleashed Keith's hilarious posts.

Pissing myself laughing mate!!

Oh please, you surely can't compare my poor attempts at humour with some of the giants in the field who occasionally post here.

But then again, I guess my humble efforts were at least deliberate .... :rolleyes:

• Premium Member
..., 4 EX3's shot simultainousely recorded on hard drives. I am absolutely blown away by the images lit with tungsten light, there is no post grading just light & shoot, having full control of the look of my images again is wonderful.

Stephen

First it was 1944 Mitchells, now (hoik! splat!) SONY cameras!

CHEAP Sony Cameras!

Hmm. Ve may now haff to include Norse Affrika as vell....

Seriously though, it's simply unbelievable what a camera like a EX3 can do, compared to what you got out of something ten times the dollar price and more, 20 years ago. You can tell how long somebody has been in the business by their reaction to a camera like that.

• Premium Member
Are you sure I lasted that long? Jarred was pretty fast on the trigger for that one.

Well, the difference between between the timestamps of your first post and when Jarred edited it to add "Banned" is actually 27 minutes but it could be less I suppose.

Interestingly instead of "Banned" under your membership status they now have "Bronze Member" whatever that means.

By the way, for the benefit of more recently-joined members, this was on DVXUser.com not REDuser.net

This was one of the more stellar statements on DVXuser

All this and much, much more is contained in the now-closed Reduser Ethics thread of a couple of years back.

You know, if you take the time to read through the "back issues" of the RED folder, you can't help noticing that most of what could be said about the RED project, has already been said, which is possibly why it doesn't attract much passing trade anymore.

Edited by Keith Walters

Hi Tom,

I can't imagine you could have said anything out of place, & your a customer, do tell more!

My ban ended 2 years earlier than expected!

Best

Stephen

I would wonder if RED would still be around in 2012. I could see Sony or some other industry giant buying them outright, if the HD DSLR makers do not completely annihilate their market share in the next year. After all, that is the main reason I hear as to why the Scarlet release was nixed last year and why the camera has undergone "radical" changes . . .

So long as red doesn't alienate it's entire client base, it'll be 'round.

Well I guess it could conceivably be that the in the next year, a Canon offering with some insane RAW HD set up (for under $5k) storms the market. It seems pretty evident the 5D mkII stole the Red One's thunder already, although they are not equal cameras, to be fair. But bottom-feeder filmmakers (the vast majority of us), people who could still not afford a Red One are even less inclined to save for one now that the 5D mkII is around. So it seems to me like a race to the bottom, and the market share is Red's to lose..

When you have big time guys like Shane Hurlbut ASC shooting features and commercials on a ($2.5K body only) 5D mkII, suddenly a $5K Epic (let alone a $20K Red One) body-only camera seems like a waste of money. Yeah, sure, you can color correct a whole deal more a Red Raw picture, and it will hold up better for the proverbial 35 mm print. But in this day and age of straight-to-video or internet distribution, what percentage of films are going to be blown up to 35mm? Etc, etc, etc . . .

If I were Jannard, I'd be very concerned. Just like people are filming on Red even tho its picture is not up to par to film yet, simply because it is more affordable, those same people are also gonna ditch Red for more affordable cameras, even if it means sacrificing the perceived image quality. It is often argued that most laymen cannot tell the difference between film-shot movies and HD-shot movies, nor do they care. So arguably, RED's percieived image quality superiority vs HD DSLRS image quality will matter less and less. And once Canon and the rest of the DSLR manfacturers get up to speed with RAW HD cameras, then RED's disadvantage may truly widen.

Well, the difference between between the timestamps of your first post and when Jarred edited it to add "Banned" is actually 27 minutes but it could be less I suppose.

Interestingly instead of "Banned" under your membership status they now have "Bronze Member" whatever that means.

By the way, for the benefit of more recently-joined members, this was on DVXUser.com not REDuser.net

This was one of the more stellar statements on DVXuser

All this and much, much more is contained in the now-closed Reduser Ethics thread of a couple of years back.

You know, if you take the time to read through the "back issues" of the RED folder, you can't help noticing that most of what could be said about the RED project, has already been said, which is possibly why it doesn't attract much passing trade anymore.

Oh you had to bring back that famous post :blink: As for my now bronze status, they automatically bestow that upon all Canadian members. Since we have won more Bronze medals in the Olympics than any other country in the world :D

Well, that answers that burning question about Richard that I've been carrying for years, "What kind of stick is that Boddington, anyway?" I just don't know whether it's an insult or a compliment.

I get the feeling it was not meant to be complimentary? Surprising that any moderated board would allow the f-word to be used in connection with any one, no matter how heated the discussion gets.

R,

• Premium Member
I get the feeling it was not meant to be complimentary? Surprising that any moderated board would allow the f-word to be used in connection with any one, no matter how heated the discussion gets.

You know, this situation absolutely screams for a mafioso style nickname for you...

I'd argue that if a 5D mkII with a dual link 4:4:4 SDI output for direct to drive or HDCAM SR deck recording were released, then that would really put RED in a huge bind, wildly beyond what it has already.

Saul... we are so worried about what Canon is releasing that we are folding the company and I am moving to Fiji in shame. Although Canon has not announced what you proposed, I am quite sure that we are doomed no matter what they really do release, line-skipping and all. All our work to provide a valid option to the industry has turned to ashes it seems. Stephen has acknowledged that the the M-X sensor is something he would shoot... but alas, he will never get the opportunity. Any camera that shoots HDCAM will destroy a RAW camera. HDCAM is the industry standard... no question about it. REDCODE RAW really has no place in the industry.

Keith... it is certainly great to see you posting again. I just wish we could stay around a bit longer so your valuable input could have been implemented into our program.

Phil… your posts are so inspiring. I wish I was starting over so I could connect better with you. You are an inspiration that I obviously missed the 1st time around.

Richard... I'm sorry that our personal emails meant nothing. I wasn't prepared for this.

Well... farewell. It was a good ride while it lasted.

Jim

• Premium Member
Saul... we are so worried about what Canon is releasing that we are folding the company and I am moving to Fiji in shame. Although Canon has not announced what you proposed, I am quite sure that we are doomed no matter what they really do release, line-skipping and all. All our work to provide a valid option to the industry has turned to ashes it seems. Stephen has acknowledged that the the M-X sensor is something he would shoot... but alas, he will never get the opportunity. Any camera that shoots HDCAM will destroy a RAW camera. HDCAM is the industry standard... no question about it. REDCODE RAW really has no place in the industry.

Can I just say something in all seriousness?

I know you're trying to be a smartarse but what you've just said pretty succinctly sums one of the major problems you have gaining general industry acceptance for your products. (Spare me the usual laundry list of "names")

Most other manufacturers of competing video cameras are large corporations, usually with shareholders and boards of directors and so on, with the result that, even if the original founder of the company were to fall under a bus, have a stroke or die of some hideous disease, there is at least a reasonable expectation that the company will continue to operate in some form, and that customers will continue to receive some sort of backup. Whether that means it is sold to someone else or simply allowed to continue under new management, will depend on a number of things, but in general it is unlikely that they will simply close their doors and stop operating.

But you've gone to great lengths to tell everybody how much this is your own pet project, and how great it is to be a private company and so on.

No, nobody expects you to fold the company and move to Fiji in shame. But, what would happen if you crashed your plane or got bitten by a rattlesnake while visiting Red Ranch or had a stroke after reading a particularly viscious and withering riposte from Phil Rhodes or Geoff Boyle, or any number of other awful things? Would your heirs allow your little "Garage Operation" to continue? That is the question. Obviously, that will depend on how profitable it is, but of course, you don't want to tell us about that.

Canon, Sony, JVC etc have corporate structures that make catastrophic failure unlikely no matter what any one individual employee or manager may decide. As far as you have allowed any of your potential customers to see at any rate, your company has no such structure.

Keith... it is certainly great to see you posting again. I just wish we could stay around a bit longer so your valuable input could have been implemented into our program.

What do you mean "posting again"? I've been making tons of posts on this forum, just not in the RED folder. I can't help it if you haven't really done anything interesting lately.

In any case, I doubt you understand more than 10% of what I write anyway.

Phil… your posts are so inspiring. I wish I was starting over so I could connect better with you. You are an inspiration that I obviously missed the 1st time around.

If I were were Phil I would probably be tempted to say something like:

"I don't know; you seem to 'start over' every ten months or so."

But I'm not Phil, so I won't.

Jim

I know you think I'm terribly disrespectful, but at least I'm up front about it.

I'm the only real friend you have, Jim; you just don't know it.

• Premium Member
Oh you had to bring back that famous post :blink: As for my now bronze status, they automatically bestow that upon all Canadian members. Since we have won more Bronze medals in the Olympics than any other country in the world :D

R,

Oh. I thought it was like "Goldmember" :lol:

So have you ever tried posting on Reduser?

• Premium Member

Jim

Hi Jim,

Welcome back, please stay & enjoy the banter.

I know very well you could give Epic's away for $100 or buy Kodak just to shut down the film division if you really wanted to, It's not as if you would be hard up or even notice whatever the competition does.

No hard feelings & my very best wishes

Stephen

Richard... I'm sorry that our personal emails meant nothing. I wasn't prepared for this.

Eh wot :blink: Jim, I wasn't criticizing RED here, in an earlier post on this thread I said, on a personal level you where a good guy. Did you not see that post.

I think Jim I have a right to point out the un-called for nature of what I was called on Red User.net, and that it was never deleted or moderated by the staff there.

That's all I'm commenting on.

R,