I've been Banned from Reduser

Stephen Williams

Kieth, like Liotta said to Pesci, "You're a real funny guy..."

That was hilarious.

I was the one that responded. Purely in jest, I hope no offense was taken. (I don't know, because your response was removed!)

I guess the point is, if anyone talked like this about their red camera, they would be dismissed as fanboys. But it's okay to talk about film in such glowing terms.

Anywayz. Back to work.

R.

Apparently it's not okay to "talk about film in such glowing terms." 'Cause it got deleted.

Unless it was a mistake.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it unfair to ask me not to use "hater" but use "fanboy"?

"Fanboy is a term originating in the United States, used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards..." (wikipedia, of course the most objective source there is)

"Though, the word "hater" is used in modern-times to describe a person with intense dislike torwards other people or groups based on gender, ethnicity, beliefs, etc." (also from the most objective source on the INTARWEB)

I think that those definitions aren't too bad :) - although probably not professional enough for this discussion I agree. But as I learn english from the internet, movies and dialogue I am not too good grammatically. Sorry for that, reminds me of the people who run out of arguments and start pointing out spelling errors though.

Love that speech and try to live by some of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0IEED4w5SE - especially the cynicism(sp?) part.

Edited by XiaoSu Han

• Premium Member
Video is the little bottle-blond anorexic tart-princess you had a brief and exciting fling with one year after your work’s Christmas party, and you’d been having clandestine assignations with on and off for months.............

By any chance was her name Deb Ford?

• Premium Member
Isn't it unfair to ask me not to use "hater" but use "fanboy"?

Not really. While there are plenty of people who are proud to be called fanboys, people are less happy about being called "haters", particularly when they only want to ask legitimate questions.

Sorry, your English is actually so good I didn't realize it wasn't your first language.

I deal with people in China almost on a daily basis, and just about all of them have given themselves Western first names.

Most of the people I encounter with names like yours and who also have good English skills, turn out to be Americans with Asian parents!

• Premium Member
The Moore's Law reference wasn't intended to be literal... but here is an example of what I meant. The RED ONE was released with 8GB Compact Flash cards that recorded the same time (at 24fps) as a 400' film load. Today we are packaging 64GB CF cards that record the equivalent of 8- 400' loads. Film is not going to get smaller, lighter, cheaper... digital can. There are many other parts of the digital program that lean in this direction, especially sensors and data processing inside the cameras.

As the migration continues... it puts pressure on film stock companies to afford the development they need to do to continue to improve the film stocks.

Mike and Jim,

Thanks very much for the Q & A. Jim, this is very informative; thank you. And Mike, thanks for staying on message ;).

I removed three or four posts from the tail of this thread about twenty-four hours ago.

The posts I removed were distracting from the professional conversation that was taking place. One included a political slur as I recall.

I did not edit or remove any posts today.

There are some new changes coming with the new FLUT Science camera builds... which will start with Build 30. Your meter now matches the camera. Incident metering will match mid grey. Additional changes include a new histogram with "goal posts" on either side of it. The "goal post" on the left tells you when you are nearing the noise floor in RAW. The "goal post" on the right tells you when you are clipping RAW. If you keep exposure between these "goal posts"... you are OK and have a lot of elbow room in post. If you light up either side, you are one button away from bringing up RAW Check. That is a new False-color-like overlay screen that shows you exactly what is clipping (in red) or in the noise floor (purple)... so you can decide if it matters.

So let's say you are outside, incident meter T4 (probably have NDs). You set that and look at the LCD. Looks good. But you have just lit the right goal post. You do a Raw Check and see that a small specular highlight on the chrome bumper is red (which means clipped). You can choose to ignore it (reasonable) or you can stop down until the red goes away and lift the rest in post (also reasonable). The good news is you see exactly what you are going to get. What you see on the LCD is what will open in post.

The new sensor is 2 stops+ less noisy than the original sensor... so you can lift under-exposed footage without pain, shoot much higher ISO/ASA and get clean images.

The new color science to select is REDcolor and REDgamma. If you want the "flat neg" option, you can use REDcolor and REDlog in post.

If you have interest to test the new color science, REDCINE-X is now up on www.red.com/support for both Mac and PC. If you need files to download, I can set up a link. If I can figure out how to attach a jpeg here, I'll post what the new U/I looks like.

Jim

Guest stevie wara
I removed three or four posts from the tail of this thread about twenty-four hours ago.

The posts I removed were distracting from the professional conversation that was taking place. One included a political slur as I recall.

Wow. Pretty surprising. Thought it could only have been a software bug, or network trouble. Do you think there should be some kind of indicator left behind when a post has been removed? Wasn't it a case of censorship at reduser that inspired this thread?

• Premium Member
If I can figure out how to attach a jpeg here, I'll post what the new U/I looks like.

Jim

You just click on "insert image" button, (just under the "Fonts" box above the reply/post window) and paste in the location where the of the image is stored.

If your storage site doesn't allow hot linking, (ie displaying its stored images on pages other than its own) you can store your image a free site such as ImageShack which does.

Have you considered some sort of IR warning system?

You could have a function that detects a color balance shift between two different levels of ND, indicative of excessive IR "pollution", and post a suitable warning.

Edited by Keith Walters

You just click on "insert image" button, (just under the "Fonts" box above the reply/post window) and paste in the location where the of the image is stored.

If your storage site doesn't allow hot linking, (ie displaying its stored images on pages other than its own) you can store your image a free site such as ImageShack which does.

Have you considered some sort of IR warning system?

You could have a function that detects a color balance shift between two different levels of ND, indicative of excessive IR "pollution", and post a suitable warning.

Keith... you and I have no gotten along very well in the past. I'll take this post as a good sign.

It really is a good idea... I'm checking with the boys to see if it is possible.

The new M-X sensor has a new OLPF that performs much better with IR, but knowing is better than guessing.

If Reagan and Gorbachev could figure it out...

Jim

Edited by Jim Jannard

• Premium Member
Keith... you and I have no gotten along very well in the past. I'll take this post as a good sign.

Jim

As you may have noticed we are in the process of trying to assemble a "sticky" Knowledge Base of unbiased information on the form of closed threads, much as you have done on Reduser.

I have actually made a lot of "educational" posts in this folder and others. I'm in the process of locating these and re-writing them to provide a more neutral tone.

This one is probably a case in point, since it's relevant to this discussion and is in line for "sticky" status. The important thing to note is that I actually did these experiments myself; this is not just idle speculation and it helps people to understand the actual problem

So we (were) edited! We certainly don't see this process applied to 99.9999% of the rest of the posts here on cinematography.com. How selective of you Tim. Users beware! Tim will swoop in (without any notice) and delete or alter portions of a conversation to fit (his) agenda and in doing so chase away those who (gave) a lot more than they (got). What a dishonest JERK!

Adios cinematography.com.... adios!

Wow. Pretty surprising. Thought it could only have been a software bug, or network trouble. Do you think there should be some kind of indicator left behind when a post has been removed? Wasn't it a case of censorship at reduser that inspired this thread?

I'm guessing it's to do with the fact that this thread has been going fairly well considering its subject matter. ;)

In fact I was even going to post how this thread had ended up on the themes of chocolate, love, sex and film which is not our usual favourites (well except maybe the latter)

Someone was recently suggesting that we should maybe do away with the forum sections for H.D. cameras that no longer exist or that people were too scared to post about! It was a funny comment but you know, it shouldn't be that way.

As to haters and fanboys, I'm not sure I like either term, tho I understand people use these terms because they are struggling to describe something. In any case I don't think the problem is that people hate film and love the red or viz a viz, it's that people get offended by peoples preferances and they start getting personal, angry and nasty.

If you feel red has "changed your life" then good for you! If you think film is like a fine wine or "the love of a good woman", then good for you too. If you think red is like an "unweildy plastic thing that produces magenta hued clippy pictures" thats okay, it's obviously not your thing. If you think film is "an overrated and expensive load of nonsense that produces scratched, dust filled hairy images and endless lab problems", thats your opinion. People are entitled to their opinions and what is more, people are entitled to disagree too!

I often hear people shouting about freedom of speech if someone disagrees with someone strongly, well you know what freedom of speech does allow people to disagree too! Thats the catch!

Mostly ciny.com is a friendly place where people chat away on all kinds of subjects, some of which are related to cinematography. ;) Although it's mostly cinematography professionals there are those who aren't and sometimes the discussion is erm, quite relaxed and informal. I like it that way which is why I am here and not on CML. Theres nothing wrong with CML as such it's just not the same thing at all, even if they are both internet forums with the same subject matter.

Someone here even posted that someone was maybe getting, erm, "intimate" with their film camera. It was taken with good humour in the way it was intended, however in the past it hasn't always been that way in this paticular sub forum.

Lately I've seen things becoming more positive in terms of Red discussions here and I suspect a lot of this is down to the hard work of David Mullen who has been posting on reduser in a positive and helpful way. I think that helps people to see that there are all kinds of people and views over here and that it isn't just "full of haters" as has been suggested in the past. So thanks to David.

I'm guessing the "creative editing" in this thread was done in the spirit of trying to help further a more positive dialogue in an area where ther have been "issues" in the past.

love

Freya

So we (were) edited! We certainly don't see this process applied to 99.9999% of the rest of the posts here on cinematography.com. How selective of you Tim. Users beware! Tim will swoop in (without any notice) and delete or alter portions of a conversation to fit (his) agenda and in doing so chase away those who (gave) a lot more than they (got). What a dishonest JERK!

Adios cinematography.com.... adios!

To be fair, he did 'fess up right away but it was maybe a bit of a mistake to not post what he did when he did it and to leave people wondering.

It could have been more transparent.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions! ;)

love

Freya

I do not read everything that's posted in this forum. Sometimes I go a week without ever checking in. I was notified by a mod that I should take a look at this thread and when I did I saw some posts that IMO were disrespectful of and distracting to the professional conversation that was taking place. I removed those posts.

I rarely edit or delete posts.

I am closing this thread. I am suspending David Rakoczy's account.

The forum is not a soapbox where users should vent about forum policy or proclaim their free speech rights. It's a place to discuss cinematography. If you have issues with forum policy take it up with a moderator or myself using a personal message or email.