pulling focus

Hi,

I've seen some 1st AC's measure the distance between the different camera positions and the different positions of the actors and then just pull focus. They didn't put any gaffer tape on the ground or on the dolly tracks to mark. The only markings they made was on the ring of the follow focus. However, the focus was always sharp.

Is this a bad way of measuring and pulling focus? Or should you always put tape on the ground and on the dolly tracks?

Thanks for your help.

• Premium Member
if the lenses allow it you should really mark the barrel. use some 1/16 paper tape or 1/32(can't remember) and put some j-lar on top of it and you can mark it with china-markers or the staedlter lumo color pens. marking the focus ring is not as accurate.

All true. I'm a china marker kind of guy. Whatever you have to do to keep it sharp.

All true. I'm a china marker kind of guy. Whatever you have to do to keep it sharp.

Me too. I knew guys who would spend hours at the rental house pre-marking disk after disk. If the gear slipped or came loose, you were lost. I liked the stabillo and I kept it sharp. Whatever works for you is what works. As long as it's sharp.

• 1 month later...