100' loads in ARRI SR

Keneu Luca

Is it a bad idea to load the ARRI SR mags with the 100' metal daylight loads?

Im going to be testing a few different stocks. I don't want to downspool from 400' reels onto plastic cores.

I do own an ARRI S as well, but I need to test with the SR, as Im also doing mic testing to see how much of the camera noise will be picked up, as well as testing certain SR-specific accessories.

I do realize the sound will be a bit different with a 100' load versus a 400' reel.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Ive yet to run film through my newly acquired SR. Ive been gathering accessories, working with someone who's building me a rod support, and had the camera out for a while getting serviced and modified.

I suppose this all varies from one cam to another, but generally, how different is the noise level between an empty mag running versus a 400' loaded mag?

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Ive yet to run film through my newly acquired SR. Ive been gathering accessories, working with someone who's building me a rod support, and had the camera out for a while getting serviced and modified.

I suppose this all varies from one cam to another, but generally, how different is the noise level between an empty mag running versus a 400' loaded mag?

It's noisier without film. Try not to lay the mags on their sides. Get a barney or make one because they can get noisy.

It's noisier without film. Try not to lay the mags on their sides. Get a barney or make one because they can get noisy.

Well that's good to know. Mine is not that bad when empty. And I did buy a barney off ebay right after I bought the camera. Although I must say this barney is quite cumbersome. But I know I will need it with some intimate whisper scenes.

• Premium Member
Well that's good to know. Mine is not that bad when empty. And I did buy a barney off ebay right after I bought the camera. Although I must say this barney is quite cumbersome. But I know I will need it with some intimate whisper scenes.

Keneu,

Used to shoot 100' daylight spools in my SR with no problems (except the previously mentioned noise issue).

Best,

-Tim