Testing Eternas...

Luca Rocchini

I'm testing a few good number of stocks in the next days. I'm wondering if I should also test the Fuji Eterna 250D in a night time environment. The style of the piece is supposed to be quite verite' (Dardenne Bro style), so I'm wondering if using the 250D for night interiors could give some interesting results if mixed with blue kinos and 1/2 or full gels on tungsten lights.

Have anyone there attempted this with this stock before?

Low budget project, so I need to be exact once ordering stock...

Well, you are still filtering out light if you are adding gels to the tungsten bulbs, so I'd only recommend testing the 250D if you can get ahold of 5500K lights for shooting.

Thanks.

HMIs are not supposed to be on set... What if use 250D unbalanced to tungsten, using Redheads and Blondes?

You can certainly correct color back in the highlights, but not without getting color-crossover (a color hue to green IIRC) in the shadows. You have the effect of underexposing the blue and green layers somewhat and overexposing the red, so you'd STILL have to reduce your EI if you don't want underexposure in two of your layers and corresponding grain in those layers.

There's the standard color correction filters and one I remember David mentioning that didn't have as high a filter correction factor but still corrected the color balance enough that the film could be corrected back without any noticeable crossover.

I think it was in his production thread for "Assassination of a High School Principal" IIRC.