Film simplicity

Steven Budden

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks that helps. I've found a moviscop but it doesn't work well. For one thing the gear with the sprockets doesn't spin too freely so pretty much the film just grinds over it, occasionally spinning it and activating the rotating prism. Also the image is completely out of focus and the chrome knob on the front is bent. Damn you ebay! How does one adjust focus on these things anyway? I've tried moving up and down the loup element and that only changes image size. Also, there is a black bar of shadow down the left side of the screen. I can't tell what that is. Woe is me.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Steven

"how can I sync ProToolsHD to my upright Moviola ?" :D

OK I've done nearly as weird...

Actually, that's not so weird. Way back in prehistoric times (around 1985 or so) a device called the Lokbox was invented for just that purpose. It basically took in tach pulses (if you don't know what that is, look it up) and output time code, so that you could lock a time coded sound transport to a mechanically driven film transport, like an upright Moviola or a Kem or other flatbed editing table. One of the first users of this system was the show "Cheers," which was cut on film for its first 4 or 5 seasons, but whose sound was done on multitracks fairly early. The Lokbox was also used by some negative cutters (Magic Film & Video Works was the first) to lock a chase cassette to a film synchronizer to allow a videocassette to be used as a work picture. What was nice about this approach was that the box could be set to ouput one pulse per frame - allowing its use with multiple formats, such as 3 perf.

Hey ! I don't want to sync PT HD to my upright Moviola. It wouldn'yt work even with the Lokbox (I sort of remember it, I think I saw 3/4 BVU decks synced to a Steenbeck with this no I don't know why either :D ) because I don't have a upright Moviola. Nor a downright Moviola.

It was my example of how a supposedly purist approach nonetheless morphs into High-Tech-no lust B)

I intend to produce a PSA warning of the dangers of this if the Ad Council will fund it.

OK, I did spend some time with a plan to sync ProTools III to a 16mm Kinoton reading biphase and using a Rosendahl box to sync PT.

I didn't do it but does the thought count ?

I've done DTS in 16mm, that should give me some street cred, or was it all my love in vain ?

-Sam

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hey now,

While film is the superior asthetic, DV does a great job these days and is a much cheaper way to get your chops. Regardless of how brilliant your ideas may be, achieving anything close to your vision is a monumental task. Going DV is a fantastic way to discover what is really "do-able" in the real situations of production. When shopping for a DV cam, get one with some sort of external mic input. If you're not sweating money then the XL2 is a dynamite camera and can get you into any medium to small film festival where someone might actually see your stuff. Best of luck to you.

• Premium Member
Hey now,

While film is the superior asthetic, DV does a great job these days and is a much cheaper way to get your chops. Regardless of how brilliant your ideas may be, achieving anything close to your vision is a monumental task. Going DV is a fantastic way to discover what is really "do-able" in the real situations of production. When shopping for a DV cam, get one with some sort of external mic input. If you're not sweating money then the XL2 is a dynamite camera and can get you into any medium to small film festival where someone might actually see your stuff. Best of luck to you.

16mm Rules! ;) B)

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/16mm/why/?id=0.1.4.3&lc=en