Atmospheric diffusion

Bill Totolo

• Premium Member

Shooting in a studio that was built into a modern building in Beverly Hills.

Apparently the studio was an after thought. The team before me tried using a hazer and various fog machines but each ended with a visit from the fire department and having to evacuate the building.

I really want to get some texture out of my lights, is there anything short of dry ice I can use that won't get us busted?

• Premium Member

Probably not. Many smoke detectors work optically, so if you can see it, so do they. If you can find them, taping plastic bags over them may work. Talk to the fire department. They may be able to work something out, like having one of their guys on set, and knowing not to respond to an alarm unless he calls in.

-- J.S.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Probably not. Many smoke detectors work optically, so if you can see it, so do they. If you can find them, taping plastic bags over them may work. Talk to the fire department. They may be able to work something out, like having one of their guys on set, and knowing not to respond to an alarm unless he calls in.

-- J.S.

That's too bad. Paying a fire marshall to sit in probably isn't going to happen.

Would have loved to emulate something like this:

I thought most detectors relied on ionization? In either case, bagging the sensors should work. What the logic behind putting Styrofoam cups over the sprinkler heads to protect them from the heat of the lights? If the head is oriented upward (as they are in most open spaces), I would have thought it would have the opposite effect, trapping the heat and melting the link.