Hurt Locker Super 16mm

Brian Rose

Now that Hurt Locker has won, is this the first time a film shot largely on Super 16mm has won Best Picture?

What do you think this says about the current and future state of the super 16 format?

BR

Really? According to some digital people on here S16 was discontinued five years ago. And 35mm will be phased out completely on June 1st, 2010.

R,

• Premium Member

4K? I thought 2K is already overkill for S16... tse...

Seriously though:

I think one might as well ask if Bigelow's achievement will boost Eterna sales, entice "suits" to engage with small budget projects, be less gender unaware, will make Arri re-think their Alexa strategy and entice JP Beauviala to launch that Aaton Super 8 camera after all...

Don't think so on all accounts, but it will be used as a reference by many (and hopefully substantiated by some) that with luck, determination, an artistic vision and technical skills, you can create whatever you damn well on any format, and bring it successfully through the pipeline.

Last one was Leaving Las Vegas, 1995. At that time, with less forgiving EXR filmstock (how cine-film evolved since then... wow) and the all-35 format monopoly, I think that was a bigger achievement to win, format-wise, I mean. Today, the plethora of available formats and their applications might actually make it easier for S16 et al.

As an avid shooter of S16, 2K isn't overkill, but 4K definitely is. ANd I shoot with primes and slow stocks 50D 100T 200T. . .

4K isn't overkill for 35mm, but 6K 8K definitely are. Unless you're talking about 35mm scope, 6K is like burning money on the lawn.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The 1960's Gemini space walks were filmed using 16mm as well as the Apollo Moon landings. Looks good on Blu-Ray disc however I wished that they could have carried more film because the frame rate was too low in order to conserve film. NFL films also uses the 16mm format but they shoot all the footage at 120 frames per second so it ends up being sharper than 35mm.