mauro fiore's oscar

ok i know that avatar is a ground breaking movie and im not nowhere near mauro fiores work, but does anyone else thinks that he didnt deserved his oscar yesterday, its kinda all green screen worrk for him, i read the American Cinematographer article about Avatar, and he was only in 30% of the actual making of the movie, i think christian berger work on the white ribbon was superb and he deserved it

Juan: See my post on the subject. I think even Fiore knew he was not deserving of the award.

This is a sad day for cinematography. We all know the fuh-ken award has been handed out since the beginning of the Academy as a consolation prize, but this is a new low from Slumdog last year, handed out as a consolation prize to the best movie with a depression-era budget.

It's great that people that don't even know what cinematography is vote on this award. Slap in the face for cinematography every year.

Juan: See my post on the subject. I think even Fiore knew he was not deserving of the award.

This is a sad day for cinematography. We all know the fuh-ken award has been handed out since the beginning of the Academy as a consolation prize, but this is a new low from Slumdog last year, handed out as a consolation prize to the best movie with a depression-era budget.

It's great that people that don't even know what cinematography is vote on this award. Slap in the face for cinematography every year.

Just as sad is the fact that Mr. Fiore didn't bother to thank Vince Pace, the DP really responsible for most of the innovation and image capture of the film along with Cameron.

I can't possibly see how he did anywhere near the amount of work as any of the other DP nominations, or even for the better part of the post-production crew on Avatar or James Cameron and his beloved virtual-cam.

This year's Oscars are quite a shame, couldn't completely grasp The Hurt Locker winning so much either.

Edited by Marcus Joseph

I can't possibly see how he did anywhere near the amount of work as any of the other DP nominations, or even for the better part of the post-production crew on Avatar or James Cameron and his beloved virtual-cam.

This year's Oscars are quite a shame, couldn't completely grasp The Hurt Locker winning so much either.

This is why I don't like the Academy. Avatar had to win a lot of awards because it is the most successful movie of all time (ignoring inflation). And to be fair, it is quite an achievement of technology and for that it deserves to be commended. I think that this is the issue the Academy faced: Avatar is the most successful movie of all time, and it was a monumental achievement in technology. But it wasn't deserving of Best Picture or Best Director. To soften the blow to Cameron for not winning either, the Academy would award him pretty much every technical award in place of those two categories. Unfortunately, cinematography got lumped in with the "technical" awards.

My cinematography professor is friends with Mauro Fiore. He's told me that a number of times Fiore told him that he didn't really do all that much photography - as is evidenced by the film itself. Evidently, Fiore really just consulted with visual effects people on how lighting and camera should work in the content that was being produced in the computer. So I'm sure he knows that maybe he didn't deserve the award but still, I'm sure any one of us would accept with a big smile if it were us in his place.

• Premium Member
.............Evidently, Fiore really just consulted with visual effects people on how lighting and camera should work in the content that was being produced in the computer..........

And where is "consulting with the visual effects people" on the lighting and camerawork of the parts of the film generated in CGI NOT not worthy of a Cinematography Oscar when those parts of the film are stunningly well "shot"?

• 4 weeks later...

I would have voted for Inglorious Basterds as well, but Mr. Richardson already has two Academy Awards... :lol:

I personally think Avatar was a major achievement in movie history. Don't believe that? Well, just look at all the CGI-crap made by legendary filmmakers the whole decade before...

I don't think that it would have worked without decent cinematography and CG-artists can create great images but they can't use light and camera positions the way a skilled cinematographer can do. Wasn't this the point of the Avatar-technology? Make CGI just another tool on set without having to control the camera with a mouse?

But I seriously question how much of this work was actually done by Mr. Fiore himself, and what was done by Mr. Pace and Mr Cameron himself. Anyway, I thinnk Mr. Fiore has proved his skills before.

"This is why I don't like the Academy. Avatar had to win a lot of awards because it is the most successful movie of all time (ignoring inflation)."

Why? The Academy isn't the business people from Hollywood, it's the artists (or the great majority of them). They'll have to consider thousands of contributions pre-selected by the studios and their final decision never will be the most "avantgarde" one - that's what the film festivals and small jurys are for. But I don't seriously think that the studios can really "push" one crap movie by offering free screenings with lobster and Champagne...

But the winners are selected not only by cinematographers, but also by costume designers and actors as well, just like cinematographers vote for acting performances - I doubt that they can always see and appreciate the effort of other crafts as well as their own - they always tend to select the most "spectacular" one.