Camaflex & Nikon Lenses?

Leon Rodriguez

I have this idea that I can't get out of my head. Maybe someone out there who is up to date on modification possibilities could advise me. I'm thinking that I could get a Camaflex body (Would an Arri IIC be better?), get a mount conversion and use Nikon 35mm still lenses and end up with a 35mm rig for under $7-8K. Why would or wouldn't this work? All input appreciated.

Edited by Leon Rodriguez

I have no experiences with modifications like this, but I can say that you can easily get a IIc package with three pieces of Cooke glass for under $6K. That's what I have. The conversion to Nikon on a IIc means you get a hardfront camera - no more turret, which is actually not so bad, since turrets have a tendency to loosen up and more easily alter the flange distance than hard fronts. Nikon glass has its problems with focus breathing, which others here will tell you about. I never shot MP with Nikon glass so I best shut up about it. I know Nikon glass is pretty cheap, and they have some fast glass out there, too (1.4, which costs considerably less than the Zeiss version).

- G.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

Hi-

You might look at Visual Products, they've been advertising a nikon mount Eclair for ages.

Having used Nikon still lenses as a newspaper guy for 8 years, I can say that I never experienced any kind of focus breathing with those lenses, although I only used primes.

The bigger issue seems to be more with follow focus mechanisms. And that the throw of the focus-ring isn't spaced (between calibrated distances) as conveniently as an MP lens. They also are not color-matched to any real degree.

Although they are very high quality glass, they are mass-market lenses, and you may need to try a couple of the same focal length to find one that really is super-sharp. I went through several 85mm primes before I found one that was good.

As an aside, somewhere around here I've got a Nikon hard front for a II-C, (I think it needs a spacer-plate to fit correctly to the camera) If you're interested, I'd love to get rid of it!

Great input guys , thanx 1M! I want to put a crashcam/B cam rig together. This is all great stuff. How do I find Les Bosher? Does he have a shop? Is he US or UK or Euro? I wonder how the Konvas glass compares to the Nikon glass in terms of color match and price? I appreciate your valuable time and knowledge.

I bought my Cameflex from the Optical Electro House in Culver City, across the street from Sony Studios. It came with an Arri B, CA and Nikon mount. I paid extra to have the CA changed to a PL and to get an extra mag, etc... If you don't care about 16mm (for those that don't know the camera shoots both 16mm and 35mm), you can save a big chunk of change by not getting the 16mm gate and mag. You can get what you want - a 35mm camera, crystal sync motor, variable speed, variable shutter, nikon mount for under 5 grand.

• Premium Member
I bought my Cameflex from the Optical Electro House in Culver City, across the street from Sony Studios. It came with an Arri B, CA and Nikon mount. I paid extra to have the CA changed to a PL and to get an extra mag, etc... If you don't care about 16mm (for those that don't know the camera shoots both 16mm and 35mm), you can save a big chunk of change by not getting the 16mm gate and mag. You can get what you want - a 35mm camera, crystal sync motor, variable speed, variable shutter, nikon mount for under 5 grand.

I just bought an ACL S16mm camera from George at Optical Electro. I went down there last Friday and had a nice talk with him. He knows cameras inside and out and can get or make whatever you need. Plus, he answers the phone when you call and will take the time to talk to you and explain whatever you need to know. Also, he guarantees any work he does. He can be reached at:

Optical-Electro House

10608 Culver Blvd.

Culver City, California

90232 - U.S.A.

Phone: (310) 204-6577

Fax: (310) 836-3194

george@opticalelectrohouse.com :)

• 9 months later...