Color-correcting and finishing using .r3d's in Color

ryan knight

I am approaching color-correction for a short I captured on the Red.

Monitoring REDspace on-set, the images are so close to perfect for mastering. So... should I:

A ) just continue working with REDspace and do a few polishes and output?

B ) set the color space to PDlog and color gamma CameraRGB and start from 'scratch'?

Thanks.

Edited by ryan knight

RedGamma works great, it contains all the dynamic range of the original but without the Log look; it color-corrects pretty easily.

I'm pretty sure I didn't see RedGamma as an option in Color. In fact, I haven't heard of it til now. Is it new with a recent build, or the new sensor?

I am approaching color-correction for a short I captured on the Red.

Monitoring REDspace on-set, the images are so close to perfect for mastering. So... should I:

A ) just continue working with REDspace and do a few polishes and output?

B ) set the color space to PDlog and color gamma CameraRGB and start from 'scratch'?

Thanks.

Ryan... I would strongly encourage you to use the new REDCINE-X and reset color space and gamma to REDcolor/REDgamma. Any future shoots should be done with camera Build 30. Test before shooting anything important.

Sorry, just read that you are using Color.

Jim

Edited by Jim Jannard

Ryan... I would strongly encourage you to use the new REDCINE-X and reset color space and gamma to REDcolor/REDgamma. Any future shoots should be done with camera Build 30. Test before shooting anything important.

Sorry, just read that you are using Color.

Jim

Is this something I should have done before the edit started?

Every time I have downloaded the bundle from the Red site, RedAlert and RedRushes are the only apps to actually install on my computer. Is RedCine-X part of that bundle?

RK.

Is this something I should have done before the edit started?

Every time I have downloaded the bundle from the Red site, RedAlert and RedRushes are the only apps to actually install on my computer. Is RedCine-X part of that bundle?

RK.

Here is a link to the Apple Color plugin (beta).

http://red.cachefly.net/redcinex/RED...4_0_beta_2.zip

REDCINE-X is free and can be found here:

http://www.red.com/support

Jim

• Premium Member

But Jim,

This Color plug-in is only for Color 1.5 that comes with the newest Final Cut Studio right? It won't work if you're running FCS 2 and Color 1. If that's what you're using then the Redgamma option won't show up in the Red tab.

Ryan,

Redcolor and Redgamma are new options in Build 30 and Redcine-X. I think while you might want to use them for future shoots, since you're already so close to your intended look with RedSpace, why not keep things simple and just finish with that?

But Jim,

This Color plug-in is only for Color 1.5 that comes with the newest Final Cut Studio right? It won't work if you're running FCS 2 and Color 1. If that's what you're using then the Redgamma option won't show up in the Red tab.

Ryan,

Redcolor and Redgamma are new options in Build 30 and Redcine-X. I think while you might want to use them for future shoots, since you're already so close to your intended look with RedSpace, why not keep things simple and just finish with that?

That's what I was leaning towards.

A question though about PDlog and CameraRGB...

When starting to grade from PDlog and RGB, I find that in order to get the saturation to a place that feels similar to REDspace I need to crank the saturation in Color to 2.0 (ish). Does upping the satch that much harm/degrade/introduce noise to the image in anyway?

• Premium Member

I don't know the answer to that. I never use log, but I used to use Camera RGB/Rec 709 regularly before Redcolor/Redgamma came out. I'd have to crank saturation to about 1.5-1.7 in the old Redcine and that was fine. So you're probably ok, but that is just a guess. Why not output some short test clips both ways and see?

I don't know the answer to that. I never use log, but I used to use Camera RGB/Rec 709 regularly before Redcolor/Redgamma came out. I'd have to crank saturation to about 1.5-1.7 in the old Redcine and that was fine. So you're probably ok, but that is just a guess. Why not output some short test clips both ways and see?

I'm not outfitted with a good enough display (I have a 23" Mac Cinema Display) to properly monitor and examine the differences in potential noise. Though, my display does have proper NTSC (1953) and SMPTE-C Color Sync profiles :)