monitoring 7d

Rob Featherstone

I was wondering if any one has any tricks for monitoring the 7D.

Last time I used the Marshall V-LCD651ST-HDMI and toggled between hdmi

while I was lighting and standard def to feed the client monitor while operating.

Any one have any fantastic solutions?

-Rob

• Premium Member
I was wondering if any one has any tricks for monitoring the 7D.

Last time I used the Marshall V-LCD651ST-HDMI and toggled between hdmi

while I was lighting and standard def to feed the client monitor while operating.

Any one have any fantastic solutions?

-Rob

email these people http://www.converters.tv/products/hdmi_converters.html and see if they have any ideas. They've got all sorts of HDMI toys. What you need is an HDMI distribution amp with one port driving the Marshall and another a programmable HDMI to component scalar converter (AKA downconverter). You need programmable scaling because most HDMI to component converters simply pass the HDMI's HD format on to the component outputs.

Rent the AJA black magic box. You've gotta get two monitors though.

Then you go HDMI into the black magic box, then go SDI to your onboard, and SDI to your production monitor....Or just have those two monitors be one in the same.

That's the only decent solution I've come across. The other thing you can do is get an HDMI splitter, but I just sorta hate those HDMI cables, especially with longer runs.

Edited by Ryan Thomas

I heard that when you are recording, the HDMI-out only sends out 480P -- is that correct?

Yes. In fact on the Marshall monitor I used you only get a tiny image in the middle of the screen.

So Hal's idea to use the scalar seems like a good way to go.

TCS Film in NYC is going to provide me the black magic box for this next shoot.

Thanks everyone!

hi

i use 3 combinations (depend on the situation)

1- use SD output with splitting between monitors

2- use blackmagic splitter (hdmi-SDI) but the Abel tech one with adaptor for battery

http://vimeo.com/8456478

or you can use this one its hdmi-hdmi and recommend by philip bloom :http://philipbloom.co.uk/2010/03/17/absolutely-essential-bit-of-kit-for-the-dslr-filmmaker/

3- use the usb port to my laptop using the canon software to view and control the camera

the advantage is that the camera screen doesn't go black and you monitor and CONTROL the camera from the laptop

the problem is that it's not play at full play back like 24/25p but more like 20p (but it record normal)

Canon 7D has an output of 1620×910 via hdmi.