35mm Film vs HD-DSLR

• Premium Member

It would be nice to know a bit more about how they posted all that footage. There is a big difference between what film can do if I transfer it to MiniDV -v- HDCamSR -v- a scan to DPX. What I'd be a lot more interested in seeing, in terms of this, would also be the RAW footage from the cameras BEFORE it was color corrected.

Personally, I was unimpressed with the DSLR cameras, but it doesn't help that I'm looking at flash video on a macbook pro....

food for thought.

I was at Zacuto the other day and they told me about the shootout, I was unaware prior. They said they did 2k and 4k scans...maybe they will talk about it in later episodes.

I thought they should have put the full res clips from each camera online or at least make it available on a dvd, like it's great to hear respected people give there opinion but I want to make the decision as what looks best to me and I can't really do that with compressed clips.

• Premium Member

What'd be nice would be some kind of flash application to look at the images from it with a way to load up 2 cameras against each-other and a bar to dissolve one to the other... something akin to what Kodak did in this DVD presentation of their '19 stock when they compared it split screen with their '18, but something the end user can control.

still, I often don't buy "tests," everyone has a vested interest and honestly, I think Zacuto (given it's market) et al (yes ASC test too!) have certain slants.

• Site Sponsor
still, I often don't buy "tests," everyone has a vested interest and honestly, I think Zacuto (given it's market) et al (yes ASC test too!) have certain slants.

All the D-Slr's look really flat and have very poor color and no latitude in video mode, even on the web they look like crap. They are all line skipped 8 bit H264 compressed they do not look good I shot some with the 7D I was not impressed looked good on the lcd on the camera and got worse and worse as it got bigger. Maybe there would be a better comparison if there was raw recording from those sensors but I doubt any of the camera's sensors tested would clock to 24fps without being line skipped.

Oh and "produced for Lucas Film" by some manufacturer of 'Cine style' handles and crap for D-Slr's in video mode about as much credibility as a wall street banker with a bundle of mortgages to swap, pure sales piece.

-Rob-

Bryan, yes they are talking about that. You could have clicked the link and watched for 60 seconds and had the answer to your question.

I think it would be almost impossible to do completely unbiased tests. I will say that I prefer film and want it to continue forever(yes I know how this sounds). And as Zacuto's products are specifically for a broad range of digital cameras they do seem to have a bias because if they declare Canon 5Dmk2, for example, they could possibly profit off of that. But one of the things they do keep saying is that film is the gold standard. They also say that invited reps from all of the companies involved(kodak, fuji, canon, nikon,etc.)and only Fuji and Canon showed up.

A question I have is they say they were using all Zeiss glass. But is there a big difference in Zeiss cinema lenses and Zeiss still lenses? Would that skew some of the test results?

• Premium Member

I would say it woudl certainly skew the tests a bit in terms of what lenses they're using even down to how they're rating the film etc. I notice they rated the 500T, for example at 400, where generally I'd say a good number of DPs would rate it at 320 instead. Same goes for the 200T, which they rated at 200, while the DSLRs are at 160. In reality 125 woudl've been better for the film and the cameras also.

They also don't get into what they did to white balance, either the still cameras or the motion picture films.

As for skew, I'd say Zacuto really is focused on the "indie" crowd in their product line. I recall a lot of their stuff for the DoF Adapters that were in vogue until very recently... .

Bryan, yes they are talking about that. You could have clicked the link and watched for 60 seconds and had the answer to your question.

To be honest, I'd be more interested in comparing these cameras with an EX1 or EX3 rather than 35mm film. Even comparing with a RED One would be of interest.