"Coffee"

• Premium Member

Finally making some progress on a short film I am dp-ing/directing. Honestly, it doesn't feel quite like a "real" film as there are only two characters, Zero dollars and (most likely) no dialog but what the heck. I plan on fitting a few hours here and there over the next few months to get it done- I guess this is really just an excuse to try something new and have fun.

I completed the first screen test over the weekend and I think I found the look/tone I want:

Screen test link: http://vimeo.com/10532805

Some stills attached.

Thanks for checking it out, I will keep posted on the (slow) progress and upload stills along the way.

post-25642-1269893966.jpg

post-25642-1269893992.jpg

post-25642-1269894043.jpg

post-25642-1269894063.jpg

Finally making some progress on a short film I am dp-ing/directing. Honestly, it doesn't feel quite like a "real" film as there are only two characters, Zero dollars and (most likely) no dialog but what the heck. I plan on fitting a few hours here and there over the next few months to get it done- I guess this is really just an excuse to try something new and have fun.

I completed the first screen test over the weekend and I think I found the look/tone I want:

Screen test link: http://vimeo.com/10532805

Some stills attached.

Thanks for checking it out, I will keep posted on the (slow) progress and upload stills along the way.

hey man,

great looking footage, love the feel! what'd you shoot it with? I really like the low contrast look/lighting. I'd be interested to know how you got those washed out, veiling flares, almost looks like you were shooting a pane of glass the whole time. Really nice.

Bobby Shore

DP

Mtl/LA

bobbyshore.com

• Premium Member

Thanks Bobby. I admit its pretty extreme and could be toned down a bit. I am basically just shooting with lens blocks I have extracted from vinatge lenses and allowing light to bleed, its quite hard to control at times. Im shooting on a "digital eyemo" ; )

• Premium Member

Love the images Hunter, very beautiful!

Interesting way of simplifying the image to it's most basic components. I often feel that the simpler we make our images, the more expressive and communicative they have the potential to be. Looking forward to your finished film, good luck!

• Premium Member

Thanks guys. Rob- I got a thing for tea & coffee... and well, beer for that matter. Im using a butchered Pentax 58mm f2.0 preset lens for most of the shooting. I do have some old single coat vivitar lenses from the t-mount days that might see some use. Hope to get some filming done next weekend.

Looks great, that technique to get those really soft/flared images is really interesting.

Would you be able to talk more about how your camera's set up to get the effect. Trying to understand how you 'Bleed the light in', I might have done something similar, is it where your separating the lens and body of the camera and controlling the amount of light directly hitting the sensor? I take it your method has more to do with the vintage lenses your using though?

Cool stuff.

Thats exactly right. Im just letting light bleed in between the space between the mount and the lens. The lenses I am using though are allready low in contrast and prone to flare.

Did the same thing on a spec commercial a little while ago.

s6.jpg

It can be a great look.

Thats just it, you dont mount the lens.

so you hold (with hands, or some kind of static rig) the body and lens aligned as such to render an image, but allow a space for light to seep between the rear element and the sensor?

that rudimentary?

wow. wicked.

• Premium Member

All lenses do is project an image, you dont need to have the lens mounted physically for it to do its job. Only thing I could say Im doing different, is that the lenses I am doing this with have been modified so that I have full range of focus while letting light bleed behind the lens.

All lenses do is project an image, you dont need to have the lens mounted physically for it to do its job. Only thing I could say Im doing different, is that the lenses I am doing this with have been modified so that I have full range of focus while letting light bleed behind the lens.

i'm thinking digital.

the footage in the posted 'coffee' montage originated on film, i'm assuming?

• 1 month later...

Looks pretty cool, I think I might try it for a dreamy sex-scene I'm directing, if you haven't patented the look already. I know you didn't ask, but it looks a liiiiiittle bit prone to visual masturbation, but it's hard to say without knowing the story. But no dialogue and enigmatic women staring out the window, drinking tea, ruminating over lost love... I really like the feel of your other videos tough so it should be nice anyway.

• Premium Member

The patent is pending lol. I realize the look is a bit extreme, this project is really more of a personal experiment more than anything so Im trying to push it so I can learn more. Im finishing up negotiations for the final location and hope to have the film in the (digital) "can" sometime month.

I really like it. Its very nice. I shot a commercial (visit link below) last year and I used a lot of glass and clear plastic foregrounds with the help of some lens flares. I hope I was able to make some shots look like yours. Nice work. =)

http://ja24fps.multiply.com/video/item/90/Nescafe_Maestro_30s

did you simply drop the materials in front of the lens and then hit it with some light? looks great.

i did something similar years ago with acetate, like cellophane - all crumpled up and folded, hitting it with it's own source. but it softened the overall picture too much. i suppose your technique didn't involve covering the entire lens with the materials, only an isolated area where you wanted to see foreground elements?