"Coffee"

did you simply drop the materials in front of the lens and then hit it with some light? looks great.

i did something similar years ago with acetate, like cellophane - all crumpled up and folded, hitting it with it's own source. but it softened the overall picture too much. i suppose your technique didn't involve covering the entire lens with the materials, only an isolated area where you wanted to see foreground elements?

Hi thanks. It was a mixture of several things I used. The most effective foregrounds for me that time were plastic bottles, crystals and different types of corrugated glass. I usually hand held the materials myself so I could give it a slight movement while the light hits it. It always needs a very minimal backlight or depends on the effect or intensity of reflection you want. Your right, I only chose isolated areas and not the whole part of the lens. Some effects happen unintentionally and it just looks really beautiful so you just try to keep it at that position.

The patent is pending lol. I realize the look is a bit extreme, this project is really more of a personal experiment more than anything so Im trying to push it so I can learn more. Im finishing up negotiations for the final location and hope to have the film in the (digital) "can" sometime month.

still though, on the 5D, with the electronic sensors between the camera and lens, how were you able to get an image without actually mounting the lens?