making a living

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad to say Phil is right. I've been learning more about immigration because of the documentary I've been shooting about a Korean sculptor. He managed to get a 3 month work visa and he went right up to the last two days. He went to see the INS in Oklahoma City about an extension and the guy told him he better be out of the country in two days or he would be arrested, deported and charged a few thousand dollars for it.

The next day he showed up at the INS office again except this time he had a lawyer in tow and photographs of the sculptures he had completed on commisions. After looking at the work the INS granted him permanent resident status that day! No filmmaker or abstract painter is going to get that privilage. Makes you feel like you're waisting your time making films really. Nothing like a mamoth life-like sculpture for that "Holy poop" wow factor to make it possible to stay in the country as well as get your whole family admitted.

Here's a small pic of one;

abe2.jpg

Guest Frank Gossimier

Did any one check out the trailer for that link posted above for the movie, Exit Strategy?

What kind of credits are those?

They list the make up artist, and the pyro guy, but not the DP?????

Since when does the make-up artist get credit on a trailer posting and the DP does not???

As for the INS...well in Canada we have a good way around the INS to work in the USA. You just show up at the airport and tell the INS you're going down to visit a friend. When in fact you are going to work on a film for three weeks :D

You work on the film and fly home, the INS is none the wiser. The odds of you getting caught are less than zero. The INS does not raid film sets and ask for birth certificates. They have their hands full chasing the shadows of terrorists.

People on set never know you're Canadian, it's not like you look or sound different.

Then wait for the next job and go down again. You don't need a VISA to enter the USA from Canada.

When the INS makes it impossible for people to do things the legitimate way, naturally people will just go around the rules. There are now estimated to be 8 million illegal residents in the USA, it is impossible for the INS to find and deport even a small number of these people. Plus when the INS does deport 15 illegals, 25 more show up the next day.

The INS will never win.

Frank

• Premium Member

Hi,

On the other hand, if you sneak in and do get caught, any time you try to go back you will be detected immediately and thrown on the next flight home by large men with guns, which I don't fancy.

On the other hand, I've been told my accent is passable.... (adopts exaggeratedly thoughtful expression)

Phil

Photogenic? London is the single ugliest place I know. Damp and grey and colourless, filled with ugly, dismal people, wet litter, gaudily-tiled sixties architecture and a million branches of Burger King. London is like a cheap, hacked-off imitation of a city - a plasticky grey-import pretence of a has-been which decayed a hundred years ago and hasn't quite realised it yet.

Hey Phil, have you considered writing as a paid career?

Much more of that, and the British Tourist Authority will be paying you - to keep you quiet :P

If you can't see visual opportunities in what you've just put into words, perhaps you are in the wrong business as well as the wrong city.

Guest Frank Gossimier

Phil,

As a UK citizen you don't need a VISA to enter the USA. So you go as a tourist, you are entering legally, you're not "sneeking in." Work on a set and have them send the check to you in the UK. So they never paid you any thing while you where in the USA.

How will they catch you exactly? You think one Englishman working on a film set is a big concern? They have much bigger problems with illegal immigration in S. Cal than chasing after you.

As for London, it's an amazing city, if I was SUPER rich I would move there in a second.

Still got my UK passport :D

Hmmmm, maybe I'll come over and work on a film and put you out of a job.

Frank

• Premium Member
Hi,

> Most of the time it's just the above the line people and a couple of keys that are

> American

Great! A glass ceiling in my own back yard. You guys really do own the industry, don't you?

Phil

Well, my point was that the rest of the crew is local or hired from around Europe, giving you an opportunity to possibly work on some of these films. But if you just want to say that "we" own the industry and ignore an opportunity that's up to you.

• Premium Member
As for the INS...well in Canada we have a good way around the INS to work in the USA.  You just show up at the airport and tell the INS you're going down to visit a friend.  When in fact you are going to work on a film for three weeks  :D

You work on the film and fly home, the INS is none the wiser.  The odds of you getting caught are less than zero.  The INS does not raid film sets and ask for birth certificates.  They have their hands full chasing the shadows of terrorists.

Frank

I've heard of American's trying to do the same thing in Canada and getting read the riot act and sent home. It's very hard for an American film worker to work on a film in Canada, yet I work with Canadians all the time here. What's up with that?

Guest Frank Gossimier

Hang on Brad, if an American shows up at a Canadian airport and says, "I'm here to work on a movie," then yes I can see that happening. Same would happen to a Canadian who tells the INS he's going into the USA to work on a movie.

Like I said, you say you are going to see a friend. Whether you're coming into Canada or the USA.

As for the number of Canadians in LA, there are far more Canadians working in LA than there are Americans working in what Canadian film industry there is. So of course you're going to bump into more of them down there.

The number of big name stars in the USA that are actually Canadian is quite staggering, the list goes on and on, and reads like Hollywood's A-List.

It's simply too easy to pack up your car and drive down to LA from Canada, any one can do it. They wave you through at the border, ask you simple questions and you're gone, takes less than 15 seconds. No problem.

Like I said earlier, no one pays attention to America's immigration laws any more. With 8 million illegals already in the USA why should they?

Frank

• Premium Member
Like I said earlier, no one pays attention to America's immigration laws any more.  With 8 million illegals already in the USA why should they?

Frank

As mother's everywhere have said for hundreds of years......"If all of your friends jumped off a bridge.............."

Justifying working illegally in another country because "everyone is doing it" doesn't really sit well with me. You seem to be encouraging people to do this.

In my previous post I was referring more to people who were trying to work there legally, not people who were lying to get around the law.

I've actually seen solicitations for work in LA looking for Canadians working in LA and they specify that you MUST be Canadian to work the show. Something about that seems very wrong to me.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> If you can't see visual opportunities in what you've just put into words, perhaps you

> are in the wrong business as well as the wrong city.

Y'know, in some ways you're right. A huge amount of independent film here is pull-the-85-looking kitchen-sink drama. Been there, done that, shot the overcast. Sometimes you just want to make "SWAT", y'know?

Phil

Guest Frank Gossimier

Brad,

In reference to:

"I've actually seen solicitations for work in LA looking for Canadians working in LA and they specify that you MUST be Canadian to work the show. Something about that seems very wrong to me. "

I assume you are referring to the infamous job posting on Mandy for a camera guy that says the shooter must be a Canadian based in LA? It's been all the rage amongst film forum types lately.

On the one hand I can see how LA folk would be upset over this. The reason this occurs is because this job is for a Canadian show shooting in LA. In order for a program to be considered "Canadian Content" a high number of the above the line personel must be Canadian citizens. That's why they are advertising like that. If the shooter is a Canadian citizen with a green card and working in the USA, then no US immigration laws have been broken.

As for going to work in the USA without a work permit based on the fact that 8 million people are already doing it. Laws must be enforced in order to be valid. Once the enforcement falls apart the laws fall apart as well. Since the US has no control over its borders, why should any one pay any attention to the immigration rules?

Many people around the world feel they have a God given right to sneak into the USA and work in the LA film biz. In their home countries all they see is American domination of their cinemas. The Hollywood studios use their political connections and financial muscle to keep home grown films off the screens in every country out there.

In Canada 98% of all movies shown in theatres are US. Now just imagine the screaming from Americans if 98% of films shown in the USA where Japanese or Canadian, would Americans stand for that?

Since people in foreign countries have no real film industries of their own to work in, what choice do they have but to sneak into the USA?

Germany, Canada, and the UK, contribute hundreds of millions a year to Hollywood via ticket sales. So it's really only fair that citizens of those countries work in the film biz in LA, with or without the blessing of the INS.

Governor Shwart..... his name, is one giant hypocrit. He vows to crack down on "runaway" productions that leave the state of Cal-eeeeee-forni-a, and yet he's shot films in Canada! Even on camera saying to the Canadian press and I quote the governor, "Canada is the best place in the world to make a movie."

I wonder how that would sit with LA film workers?

So in closing, the foreign hoardes invading Hollywood may be taking jobs away from Americans that's true. But, Hollywood took those jobs away from people in their home countries when they refused to allow home grown film industries that will compete with them.

Get this, Hollywood considers Canada simply to be a part of the USA when film distribution deals are signed. If you've made a solid Canadian film you basically need the permission of a film exec in Hollywood to show it in your own country!!

Frank

Brad,

In reference to:

"I've actually seen solicitations for work in LA looking for Canadians working in LA and they specify that you MUST be Canadian to work the show. Something about that seems very wrong to me. "

I assume you are referring to the infamous job posting on Mandy for a camera guy that says the shooter must be a Canadian based in LA?  It's been all the rage amongst film forum types lately.

On the one hand I can see how LA folk would be upset over this.  The reason this occurs is because this job is for a Canadian show shooting in  LA.  In order for a program to be considered "Canadian Content" a high number of the above the line personel must be Canadian citizens.  That's why they are advertising like that.  If the shooter is a Canadian citizen with a green card and working in the USA, then no US immigration laws have been broken.

No immigration laws may have been broken but the Civil Rights and equal opportunity laws have most certianly been broken. I would wager you could sue them for just posting that ad.

• Premium Member
As for going to work in the USA without a work permit based on the fact that 8 million people are already doing it.  Laws must be enforced in order to be valid.  Once the enforcement falls apart the laws fall apart as well.  Since the US has no control over its borders, why should any one pay any attention to the immigration rules?

YOU CAN CONTINUE TO JUSTIFY YOURSELF BY SAYING THIS, BUT IT STILL DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT OR LEGAL TO LIE AND SNEAK INTO A COUNTRY ILLEGALLY TO WORK, NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF WORK YOU THINK YOU DESERVE TO DO HERE.  THERE ARE A MILLION "EXCUSES" PEOPLE USE WHEN THEY COMMIT CRIMES, BUT IT DOESN'T KEEP THEM OUT OF JAIL.  IF YOU CONTINUE TO DO THIS YOU'LL BE CAUGHT EVENTUALLY, AND YOU'LL FIND OUT THAT THE IMMIGRATION LAWS IN THIS COMPANY ARE IN FACT VALID.

Many people around the world feel they have a God given right to sneak into the USA and work in the LA film biz.  In their home countries all they see is American domination of their cinemas.  The Hollywood studios use their political connections and financial muscle to keep home grown films off the screens in every country out there.

PROVE IT.  I DON'T THINK YOU CAN COME UP WITH ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE THAT THE STUDIOUS HAVE KEPT "LOCAL" FOREIGN FILMS OUT OF THEIR "LOCAL" THEATERS.  PROVE ME WRONG.  EVEN IF THEY DID, HOW DOES THAT SUDDENLY MAKE IT ALRIGHT FOR PEOPLE TO SNEAK INTO THE U.S. TO WORK?  YOU'RE REASONING ON THIS IS LUDICROUS.

In Canada 98% of all movies shown in theatres are US.  Now just imagine the screaming from Americans if 98% of films shown in the USA where Japanese or Canadian, would Americans stand for that?

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE OUR MOVIES THEN MAKE YOUR OWN.  IT'S PRETTY SIMPLE.  BUT CANADA CAN'T AFFORD TO FUND ENOUGH MOVIES TO FILL THEIR THEATERS SO THEY IMPORT AMERICAN MOVIES.  HOW IS IT SUDDENLY OUR FAULT? IF YOU WANT CANADIAN MADE MOVIES THEN MAKE CANADIAN MOVIES.  WHAT'S THE BIG DILEMMA?

Since people in foreign countries have no real film industries of their own to work in, what choice do they have but to sneak into the USA?

WHAT?  THAT'S RIDICULOUS.  AGAIN, SNEAKING INTO THE U.S. TO WORK IS ILLEGAL.  OH, SO THE POOR CANADIANS DON'T HAVE ANY MOVIES TO WORK ON.  BOO-HOO.  MAKE YOUR OWN.  YOUR LOGIC IS JUST SILLY.  YOU DON'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT OR WHAT YOU THINK YOU DESERVE.

Germany, Canada, and the UK, contribute hundreds of millions a year to Hollywood via ticket sales.  So it's really only fair that citizens of those countries work in the film biz in LA, with or without the blessing of the INS.

SO STOP BUYING TICKETS.  IF CITIZENS OF THE UK DIDN'T WANT TO SEE AMERICAN MOVIES THEY WOULD STOP SHOWING THEM THERE VERY QUICKLY BECAUSE THEY WOULD MAKE NO MONEY.  IF I BUY $100.00 WORTH OF BRITISH CHOCOLATE DOES THAT MEAN I'M ENTITLED TO A JOB AT A BRITISH CHOCOLATE FACTORY?  SO RIDICULOUS......

Governor Shwart..... his name, is one giant hypocrit.  He vows to crack down on "runaway" productions that leave the state of Cal-eeeeee-forni-a, and yet he's shot films in Canada!  Even on camera saying to the Canadian press and I quote the governor, "Canada is the best place in the world to make a movie."

I wonder how that would sit with LA film workers?

YEAH, GREAT.  WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?  IS THERE A POINT?  HE'S AN ACTOR AND A POLITICIAN......DO YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING ACTORS AND POLITICIANS SAY?  I SURE DON'T.

So in closing, the foreign hoardes invading Hollywood may be taking jobs away from Americans that's true.  But, Hollywood took those jobs away from people in their home countries when they refused to allow home grown film industries that will compete with them.

THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST BASS-ACKWARDS ARGUMENT I'VE EVER HEARD.  WE STOLE THEIR JOBS?  IF YOU'RE REFERRING TO CANADA THEN YOU'RE REFERRING TO ALL THE AMERICAN FILMS THAT CANADIAN CREWS WERE WORKING ON BEFORE THE DOLLAR TOOK A CRAP I ASSUME.  SO WE FINALLY GOT OUR JOBS BACK AND NOW YOU WANT TO KEEP THEM, BUT YOU WANT TO MOVE TO OUR NEIGHBORHOOD TO DO THEM?  I CAN BARELY KEEP UP WITH THE CIRCULAR ARGUMENTS YOU'RE MAKING.  THE REASON MOST FILMS ARE MADE HERE IS BECAUSE THIS IS WHERE THEY ORIGINATE FROM, AND WHERE MOST FILMMAKERS LIVE.  I DON'T THINK THE STEELWORKERS IN PA AND OH WERE CRYING THAT THEY DESERVED TO WORK IN CHINA BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE THERE JOB WAS SENT TO IN THE 70'S AND 80'S.  THEY FOUND NEW WAYS TO MAKE A LIVING.

Get this, Hollywood considers Canada simply to be a part of the USA when film distribution deals are signed.  If you've made a solid Canadian film you basically need the permission of a film exec in Hollywood to show it in your own country!!

Frank

OH MY GOD, NO WAY!  THAT'S SO SAD!  GIVE ME A BREAK.  IF YOU MAKE A GOOD FILM IN CANADA YOU CAN GET DISTRIBUTION WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF ANYONE IN THE U.S.  MAKING THAT STATEMENT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK FOOLISH.

My responses are within your post in bold. If you choose to respond please find a different argument. The "everyone else is doing it, so I can too" argument is getting VERY old.

Guest Frank Gossimier

Brad,

For the record I never said that I have gone into the USA to work on a film, where did I say that? I said it's a method people can and do use, I didn't say I did it.

As for the big bad INS, don't make me laugh they couldn't catch a cold.

I love your argument about Canada and other countries making more of their own films so that there are more home grown jobs. This shows a typical mis-understanding of American trade and foreign policy on your part.

Trading with the USA works like this, America plays by the rules until those rules start to put Americans out of work, then the rules are ignored. So please don't lecture me about the rule of law, and respect for the law. If America wants this then the USA should lead by example.

Case in point, the USA puts heavy tarrifs of softwood lumber imported from Canada and gives the tarrif money to the US forrestry industry. This inspite of the fact that the WTO has ruled against the USA on this issue, and that the USA has signed NAFTA. Now what where you saying about respect for law and all that????

Not too mention the gross violations of the Geneva Convention the USA committed in the jail in Iraq. Are you aware that the USA is a signatory of the Geneva Convention? What was all that you where saying, oh here, allow me to use some of your own words, "THERE ARE A MILLION "EXCUSES" PEOPLE USE WHEN THEY COMMIT CRIMES."

What does all this have to do with the Hollywood film industry, plenty. Any time Canada has tried to introduce Canadian Content legislation for Canadian theatres, the Hollywood folks have used their substantial clout in the US gov't to see it squashed. How do they squash it? Simple, the US says, "Ok Can Con in Canadian theaters fine, we'll impose duties on the following manufactured goods...."

And yet this type of trade retaliation is perfectly acceptable to the US gov't when THEY do it.

As for the Canadians crying Boo Whoo about the lack of film jobs, a year ago it was the LA folk crying Boo Whoo about the lack of film jobs. Those days may come again soon.

And I do not look foolish making my statement about needing to get past the US film distributors to get a Canadian film into Canadian theaters. You look foolish because you have no idea how things work here or what you're talking about on this issue.

Frank

• Premium Member
Brad,

For the record I never said that I have gone into the USA to work on a film, where did I say that?  I said it's a method people can and do use, I didn't say I did it. 

WELL, YOUR VERY DETAILED DESCRIPTION CERTAINLY IMPLIED THAT YOU HAD.

"As for the INS...well in Canada we have a good way around the INS to work in the USA. You just show up at the airport and tell the INS you're going down to visit a friend. When in fact you are going to work on a film for three weeks

You work on the film and fly home, the INS is none the wiser. The odds of you getting caught are less than zero. The INS does not raid film sets and ask for birth certificates. They have their hands full chasing the shadows of terrorists.

People on set never know you're Canadian, it's not like you look or sound different."

YOU SAID "WE" AS IF YOU HAD DONE IT.  YOU CERTAINLY HAVE SHOWN THAT YOU ARE IN FAVOR OF THIS METHOD AND THAT YOU HAVE NO REGARD FOR U.S. LAWS.

As for the big bad INS, don't make me laugh they couldn't catch a cold.

WELL, AN AQUAINTENCE OF MINE IS BEING SENT BACK TO HIS HOME COUNTRY IN EUROPE FOR DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU'VE DESCRIBED ABOVE.....MAYBE HE'S NOT A COLD, BUT THE FLU.

I love your argument about Canada and other countries making more of their own films so that there are more home grown jobs.  This shows a typical mis-understanding of American trade and foreign policy on your part.

IF YOUR COUNTRY COULD SUPPORT A FILM INDUSTRY ON IT'S OWN THEN IT WOULD DO IT.  THERE'S NO MISUNDERSTANDING.  IF CANADA MADE MORE OF IT'S OWN FILMS THEN IT'S FILM WORKERS WOULD HAVE MORE WORK.  IT'S SIMPLY SUPPLY AND DEMAND, BUT YOUR TRYING TO MAKE IT OUT AS SOME U.S. CONSPIRACY.  THE CANADIAN PUBLIC SPENDS THEIR MONEY ON U.S. FILMS, SO THEY CONTINUE TO RELEASE THEM THERE.  IT'S NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND IF YOU'RE WILLING TO THINK ABOUT IT RATIONALLY FOR A SECOND.

Case in point, the USA puts heavy tarrifs of softwood lumber imported from Canada and gives the tarrif money to the US forrestry industry.  This inspite of the fact that the WTO has ruled against the USA on this issue, and that the USA has signed NAFTA.  Now what where you saying about respect for law and all that????

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ILLEGALLY CROSSING A BORDER TO WORK?

Not too mention the gross violations of the Geneva Convention the USA committed in the jail in Iraq.  Are you aware that the USA is a signatory of the Geneva Convention?  What was all that you where saying, oh here, allow me to use some of your own words, "THERE ARE A MILLION "EXCUSES" PEOPLE USE WHEN THEY COMMIT CRIMES."

AGAIN, WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE FILM BUSINESS OR THE DISCUSSION AT HAND?  OR ARE YOU JUST OUT TO BASH THE U.S.?

Any time Canada has tried to introduce Canadian Content legislation for Canadian theatres, the Hollywood folks have used their substantial clout in the US gov't to see it squashed.  How do they squash it?  Simple, the US says, "Ok Can Con in Canadian theaters fine, we'll impose duties on the following manufactured goods...."

SHOW ME THE PROOF.  I'VE STILL SEEN NO PROOF TO ANY OF YOUR ALLEGATIONS ABOUT HOW AWFUL THE STUDIOS OR THE U.S. GOVERNMENT ARE.  HOW ABOUT A LINK TO A DIRECT QUOTE.....SOMETHING TO PROVE THAT YOU'RE NOT JUST RECITING SOME RUMOR YOU HEARD.

As for the Canadians crying Boo Whoo about the lack of film jobs, a year ago it was the LA folk crying Boo Whoo about the lack of film jobs.  Those days may come again soon.

WHY?  IS THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT PLANNING ON ADDING ANOTHER TAX BREAK TO LURE PRODUCERS TO SHOOT THERE AGAIN?  SO MUCH WORK WOULD NEVER HAVE GONE TO CANADA IF IT COST THE SAME AMOUNT OR EVEN CLOSE TO THE SAME AMOUNT TO SHOOT THERE AS IT DOES HERE.

And I do not look foolish making my statement about needing to get past the US film distributors to get a Canadian film into Canadian theaters.  You look foolish because you have no idea how things work here or what you're talking about on this issue.

Frank

OK, SO PROVE THAT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT THEN.  GIVE ME SOME REAL INFORMATION THAT PROVES THIS AND MAYBE I'LL BELIEVE YOU.  AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED IT'S NOTHING BUT A RUMOR UNTIL YOU PROVE OTHERWISE.  JUST ONE CASE.  ONE, AND I'LL START TO CONSIDER THAT THIS CONSPRIACY THEORY ACTUALLY MIGHT BE TRUE.  OTHERWISE PLEASE STOP POSTING ABOUT THINGS THAT CANNOT BE PROVEN.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The French film market is, in typical socialist style, to some extent government controlled. This means that they can prevent the wholesale slaughter of their home industry by foreign - oh, let's face it, American - imports. I'd like to see that happen elsewhere to control the flood of often quite frankly bad American film that permeates the world. "National Treasure", I ask you.

I would object to it less if the material wasn't often so intellectually bankrupt, and shown in preference to all-round better local fare. I would object to it less if I had the tiniest confidence that the inhabitants of Shitkicker, TN would put up with a diet of 98% English films. I would object to it a whole lot less if the local industry here would get a hold of itself and realise that it has to compete on the same level of easy mass market appeal. It would be less appalling if stuff like the Harry Potter films didn't carefully funnel all the cash back to US-based production companies. Most Americans have no idea how insane it is, but I've posted the current playlist of the local Odeon a few times here. Read and weep copiously.

As I've said before, you hijack an entire world industry to one city, you're going to have people determined to go there and work in it. I appreciate it's pretty much the US's only major export at the moment, beyond bombs, but that's the situation that exists.

Phil

Guest Frank Gossimier

Well Brad as you can see from Phil Rhode's posting I am not alone in my oppinions:

"As I've said before, you hijack an entire world industry to one city, you're going to have people determined to go there and work in it. I appreciate it's pretty much the US's only major export at the moment, beyond bombs, but that's the situation that exists." Phil.

You want more proof and links etc, fine, I'll provide them in the next 48 hrs.

Yes I am in favour of "sneeking in" if some is so inclined, and I personally don't give much of a rats butt for US immigration laws. They are useless and un-enforceable as I have pointed out.

So the INS is sending home a European film worker that got caught, how long did it take the INS to track him down 47 years? Is he in his 90s now?

You see Brad the odds of me being caught, if I did this, are zero I even have a 100% legitimate US Social Security card and an account. I could apply for work any place in LA and have no problems, I could get a CA drivers license in a few hours and I've got the two documents I need to work in the USA. I was given the SIN card while I was student in the USA, valid for life!

As for work moving back to Toronto or Vancouver all the US dollar has to do is strengthen, and this will drive down the Canadian dollar to once again make it more attractive to shoot in Canada than LA. The Canadian dollar hit .85 US two months ago and closed today at .80. So it's dropping back down. Once it hits .75, you can almost hear the Hollywood jets taking off for Canada once again.

FYI, I don't work on any US shoots that come to Canada, never have. No desire to. So whether they come or not makes no difference to me personally. Nor do I have any desire to move to LA and pay $4000.00 a month for a 900 square foot apartment.

I will provide you with links detailing how the US studios control the Canadian market, that won't be too hard. Then you'll have your third party proof.

Frank

Guest Frank Gossimier

Ok Brad,

You insist that I am making every thing up, so here's a link you can review to very strongly substatiate my claims: See bottom of post.

I said that Hollywood studios use their clout with the US gov't to maintain control of the Canadian film market, read this...

"In 1987, Federal Communications Minister Flora MacDonald wanted to boost the number of Canadian films on Canadian screens to 15 %. Her bill was derailed after furious lobbying by Jack Valenti, Chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America. "

Isn't this a shred of evidence, you said I had not provided one outside link or quote well here you go! How did Jack Valenti do this? Not by lobbying the Canadian Gov't of course, but by lobbying the Reagan admin to take retaliatory trade action against Canada if this law passed. Would you Americans stand for that kind of medling from a foreign country?

I said Hollywood used their money and power to keep Canadian films out of the Canadian market, read this....

"Major U.S. studios such as Universal, Warner Bros. and Disney have well established distribution offices in Canada. Turner Entertainment is on the verge of setting up shop. The system ensures that American films receive the best advance publicity, the longest runs, and the best theatres. Canadian films get few previews or press kits, and very little hype."

Another shred for you!

Here's another example of what Hollywood does to squash the Canadian film industry...

"Purchase North American rights to feature films produced in the U.S. by independents. Independents make deals with the majors then sell Canada as part of the U.S. domestic market, thereby preventing a Canadian company from acquiring rights to the films."

The link to all this is right here, read it your self.

Hollywood Control Of Canadian Market

Ok now Brad over to you, I want to see you provide outside links to sources that prove me wrong and counter the points I have posted above. It's time you produce one piece of evidence to support what you are saying that Hollywood does nothing to control the Canadian film market.

Well we all waiting.....

Frank

These are some of the answers to the question

Many Americans often ask: "Why does the rest of the world hate us?"

Well because we...

(I'm an American too, albiet a minority, but I figure an American nontheless)

Use bully politics to enforce our way of life globally.

Hollywood is not only hated in the foreign world

But in the American indie market as well

Because it tends to saturate the market with as Phil called it

"Itellectually bankrupt movies"

At the same time squashing any possible competition.

However rather than complain I think the best way to fight this

Is to educate the masses (as if that hasn't been suggested before :rolleyes: )

To get them to demand a higher level of cinema

To get people to sponsor the films being made in their own countries

Or in their own towns--to get them to support local filmmakers.

This can be the way to start loosening Hollywood's stranglehold on the industry.

And doesn't it just seems so goddamn easy. :rolleyes:

Anyways in the end really it's just entertainment.