Basic Audio advice needed

Hi, can anyone clarify for me the best way to record sound for an interview on say, the Sony Z1 or similar ? By that I mean, there's various menu options that let you record to Channel 1, Channel 2 or Channel 1 + 2 and I find it a bit confusing. Also, someone told me that you should only record sound as mono and make it stereo in post ? Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

Hi, can anyone clarify for me the best way to record sound for an interview on say, the Sony Z1 or similar ? By that I mean, there's various menu options that let you record to Channel 1, Channel 2 or Channel 1 + 2 and I find it a bit confusing. Also, someone told me that you should only record sound as mono and make it stereo in post ? Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

In terms of physical miking, you're going to want to have a lav on each of your subjects, each with their own channel. The settings are available for mixing everything down to one channel, but in this case you want to set the camera to channel 1+2 so each channel will be recorded separately, and that way you have full control of levels.