SR3 No 1fps?

Evan Andrew John Prosofsky

Hi there,

I recently shot on the SR3, and wanted to do some timelapse photography. I was sad to see that the SR3 apparently only supports 5-75fps? Is there anyway to do 1fps? It seems strange to me that such a great camera can't handle such an 'easy' frame rate. There must be some sort of explanation I'm not aware of.

And one other quick question-

In the SR3 manual it notes that during loading you must "Center the film loop in the direction it will run". What exactly does this mean? When I made my loop, I just made sure that the film length was as long as required, the film was snug between the 4 pins, and that the loop stuck out equally on either side of the pressure plate. Is this correct? Was there something I was missing?

Thanks a million as always,

Evan

• Premium Member

Not sure about the SR3, but with the 16SR and 16SRII, to run at 1 fps you need to do a modification to the camera.

Currently I'm servicing an SR with a Cinematography Electronics Speed Control attached, and I noticed that even though the speed control goes down to 1 fps, the camera won't really run smoothly at anything under 3 or 4 fps. I talked with the folks at CE and they said that was normal, that the load when the camera is trying to run at less than 3 fps is too much for the electronics. To make an SR or SRII run at 1 frame per second, you need a separate electronics board to be installed in the camera. Then the camera can be hooked up to an intervalometer and do time-lapse, running at 1 fps or slower. I am assuming the SR3 would have the same issue.

The way you are describing doing the loop is how I have always done the loop when shooting with an SR or SRII. Again I would assume it would work the same way on an SR3. Do remember to press the advance button until you hear the "click" every time you load a new mag. Otherwise, that has always worked fine for me.

Best,

-Tim

Not sure about the SR3, but with the 16SR and 16SRII, to run at 1 fps you need to do a modification to the camera.

Currently I'm servicing an SR with a Cinematography Electronics Speed Control attached, and I noticed that even though the speed control goes down to 1 fps, the camera won't really run smoothly at anything under 3 or 4 fps. I talked with the folks at CE and they said that was normal, that the load when the camera is trying to run at less than 3 fps is too much for the electronics. To make an SR or SRII run at 1 frame per second, you need a separate electronics board to be installed in the camera. Then the camera can be hooked up to an intervalometer and do time-lapse, running at 1 fps or slower. I am assuming the SR3 would have the same issue.

The way you are describing doing the loop is how I have always done the loop when shooting with an SR or SRII. Again I would assume it would work the same way on an SR3. Do remember to press the advance button until you hear the "click" every time you load a new mag. Otherwise, that has always worked fine for me.

Best,

-Tim

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Tim.

Interesting about the frame speeds, but that still seems so strange to me, considering even basic super8mm cameras can do manual "still frame" timelapses.

In regards to film loading and the film loop, the guy who helped show me how to do it basically said, "you'll hear if something is wrong". Is this a fairly safe generalization? I ask because, I'm not particularly sure if I heard a click, however I did use the phase button and when the film ran through the camera it was exceptionally quiet.

Sorry for the vagueness and insecurity, just really can't wait to get this film back and find out if I'm an idiot or not.

• Premium Member
Interesting about the frame speeds, but that still seems so strange to me, considering even basic super8mm cameras can do manual "still frame" timelapses.

Hi,

It's earier with a clockwork wind up drive! Most modern cameras are PL mount, they don't have a light tight shutter making animation impossible without a capping shutter.

Stephen

Hi,

It's earier with a clockwork wind up drive! Most modern cameras are PL mount, they don't have a light tight shutter making animation impossible without a capping shutter.

Stephen

Just the job for a Bolex, just cover the camera with black bag if you plan to have a longer than seconds between frames.

• 11 years later...