PETITION against elimination of Kodak 5231/7231

• Premium Member
Tom,

While I don't disagree, there is a big difference between just sitting on the sidelines and going out on the field and at least trying for the fifty-yard field goal.

Regards,

Bill

Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Bill DiPietra

Tom,

While I don't disagree, there is a big difference between just sitting on sidelines and going out on the field and at least trying for the fifty-yard field goal.

Regards,

Bill

That's why I said, I admire your effort. It can also be equated to beating your head against the wall but your analogy is so much better. Good luck.

That's why I said, I admire your effort. It can also be equated to beating your head against the wall but your analogy is so much better. Good luck.

Okay, so you admire our effort, great. But I'm sorry, if you guys put half as much energy into actually contacting somebody relevant and voicing your displeasure about the situation as you do with the cynical negativity, something might be achieved.

We know how dismal the outlook is and how difficult the task might be to change any corporate decision. But we really don't need the clever "insights" and discouraging "revelations" about that endeavor. It's just not needed.

Tim

• Premium Member
Okay, so you admire our effort, great. But I'm sorry, if you guys put half as much energy into actually contacting somebody relevant and voicing your displeasure about the situation as you do with the cynical negativity, something might be achieved.

We know how dismal the outlook is and how difficult the task might be to change any corporate decision. But we really don't need the clever "insights" and discouraging "revelations" about that endeavor. It's just not needed.

Tim

Tim,

While it may seem like a few people are being negative, they're not. They're being realistic. Even though I am putting as much effort into this as I can, I am more than vaguely aware of how extremely slim the chances are that this stock will survive. It's an unfortunate truth that I dealt with even before I decided to write the petition.

But, hey...I work nights, so maybe that's why I'm at my best when there is no light at the end of the tunnel! ;)

Edited by Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

There has been a lot of discussion over at APUG.org about Kodak's situation. It seems to boil down to the market for film contracting more and faster than they were expecting.

Kodak closed the various plants (toronto, Australia, france) that had made film for regional markets. and invested in upgrading one coating line so that it could produce most products. I understand they they hoped that they could keep one line busy. That line is based on a fairly wide web of film and so it is hard to make less that 10,000 or more feet of 48- 56 nch wide film. (i have seen different sizes in different posts) that maens at lest 34 strips of 35mm film at once.

They would be happier to make much more at a time.

One poster who indicated that they had insider knowledge indicated that it can take 4-5000 feet just to thread the machine up. This means to make 1 400ft roll of 5231 they have to make a thousand rolls. and sell it all within 2 years before it starts going bad.

this same change is probably part of the reason why the plus-x reversal was reformulated .

I would guess that the ONLY volume product they are making is colour print film. and the effort that they put into the vision negative line is to protect that merket.

I would also guess that Plux-x gets the axe as they can always say to put an ND filter on the camera if 5222 or Tri-xR are too fast.

• Premium Member

Bergger, Fuji, Ilford might be thinking things over now. With Ilford they'd have nothing else to do than lace the stocks in the appropriate perforators.

Orwo stocks are available in 35 and 16.

Gigabitfilm 40 and 32 HDR still wait for becoming explored more widely.

http://www.bergger.com

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/profes...hite/index.html

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/latest.asp

http://www.gigabitfilm.com/html/english/im...p?Layout=normal

I'd rather beat YOUR head against a wall than my own.

Yeah, you're right, let's all just slit our wrists right now and die.

Hi,

This is definetely sad news. You have all my support.

Casually, I started a feature a few years back which we shot in 35mm B&W anamorphic, the project got stalled for various reasons. Now, finally we will be able to finish it this year. We will shoot 5231 and 5222, I just hope is not the last feature ever shot on Kodak B&W. It's really a great look.

Here is the trailer if you would like to check it out.

http://www.johnnyxmovie.com/trailer/

Francisco