how much is a red one?

Andrew Armentrout

Collecting is a pretty nutty thing, the prices go up and down depending on how much people emotionally want something that will just sit on a shelf. This has nothing to do with the real market value of a working camera, although I'd be surprised at a couple of hundred dollars, which could be a forum rhetorical price than a real one.

I'd rather have an Aston Martin DB5 than a early RED One, even though I'm not a car freak.

Hi everione

Im not sure if this is the best place to ask but...

Why Red Cameras are so Special???

and if you will choose any other camera cheap than RED which will you choose?

Gerardo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Red Cameras are so Special???

and if you will choose any other camera cheap than RED which will you choose?

RED cameras became popular because they offered 35mm sensors, recorded RAW at a lower price than other high end HD cameras. It was the performance v price ratio that made RED different, the "special" could be debated. RAW doesn't work for everyone, so other digital cameras have been doing business as well.

Currently, the Sony F3 seems to have less compromises than other lower priced cameras. Although, it's not the cheapest out there, if you want that the DSLRs are supported by a large stills market.

I don't know where you got 200k. I paid about 5% of that for mine... with everything needed to shoot except a monitor.

I think it was the rhetorical offer that someone (I believe Jim Jannard) was prepared to pay for an extremely early RED One. It's a collector's price, rather than the cost of buying a RED.

Unless you buy used. Then it's around half of that.

And you still get a 90 day warranty from RED with the transfer of ownership (that costs $750).

Perhaps, that's where the people who are complaining about the cost of the Scarlet S35 (now Epic Lite or whatever letter) price increases should consider looking.

• Premium Member

The collectible price is easy to understand.

Manufacturers can get very sentimental about early production versions of their successful products.

For instance: The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago used to own a very early Ford Model A in their collection, around S/N 25 if I remember correctly. Henry Ford tried to buy it for years but the Museum wouldn't sell. Ford finally came up with something they would trade for. Over the years Henry had had the factory save a few brand new cars from each model year in crates. He had a new Model A and offered it in trade for the Museum's. They accepted.

Jim Jannard plays, and lives, in the league where a couple of hundred thousand dollars just might seem reasonable to him for a very early S/N Red One.

• Premium Member

Also, unless you get a zoom, you'd want a lens set, with a nice range of primes, from say a 18mm up to a 100mm (something like 18/28/35/50/65/80/100). I personally stay on the wider side rather than the longer side, but each person is different.

Anyone?

The price of the lenses can vary hugely depending on if you want to use stills or cine style lenses. There are lower price PL mount lens I've seen a set of these advertised for 15k Euros. https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/Schneider_Cine-Xenar.pdf

In the end it's how long is a piece of string.

The price of the lenses can vary hugely depending on if you want to use stills or cine style lenses. There are lower price PL mount lens I've seen a set of these advertised for 15k Euros. https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/Schneider_Cine-Xenar.pdf

In the end it's how long is a piece of string.

Thanks for replying. Seems very much like still photography (buying the camera is only just the beginning, there are many more expenditures to come after wards)

Thanks for replying. Seems very much like still photography (buying the camera is only just the beginning, there are many more expenditures to come after wards)

That's all part of the fun. Experimenting with different setups and apparatus.

• 2 months later...