Andrew Armentrout

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Sponsor

How about more than $2,000,000?

LEICA APO-TELYT-R 1:5.6/1600mm

S**T Don't drop it.. oohhh whoops.... damn....how much to fix that ding? F**K maybe I will just put this potted plant next to it and maybe Quaddaffi will get shot before he notices..... :lol:

-Rob-

Alexas may not reach the numbers of RED's that are made but I bet they will be used on more mainstream big budget TV and film projects than RED will ever be. Reason? Producers have always had existing deals with these companies and their rental agents. Some shows are Panavision others are Arri. Basically none are RED and I suspect they never will be. It will be Genesis or Alexa.

• Premium Member

Alexas may not reach the numbers of RED's that are made but I bet they will be used on more mainstream big budget TV and film projects than RED will ever be. Reason? Producers have always had existing deals with these companies and their rental agents. Some shows are Panavision others are Arri. Basically none are RED and I suspect they never will be. It will be Genesis or Alexa.

Panavision have had Red cameras (Red One and MX) for rent for some time now.

I don't know about other places but PV Australia even have 5D production kits.

Bottom line is, if you can buy it, and people want to rent it, they'll stock it.

After all, Arri readily admit that Panavision were by far their biggest customer.

I don't know whether Arri rentals have any REDs in their fleets, but if they thought they were losing money because they didn't, they would soon get some.

As for "existing deals" I'll think you'll find the real deal make-or-breakers are the relationships they have with Post Production people who:

A. Don't much like working with Redcode Raw, and/or don't particularly feel like scaling the steep learning curve involved

B. Don't much like Tendentious sermons preached by Convertee's of convenience.

And at the end of the average production/distribution/transmission sewer pipe, the RED always comes out pretty ordinary looking pictures, in my limited viewing experience anyway. Don't know about MX or Epic becasue I haven't seen any of that yet.

• 2 weeks later...