A different take on clapper loading

I saw it on the bluray, I just assumed its how Tarantino keeps his set. In my mind it fit into the Hi Sally's he always does. I figured it was condoned by Mr T, and if so who would say otherwise? Don't know that to be fact or fiction, just the impression I get from the BTS I see out of his movies.

• Premium Member

Most of the talent looked really annoyed with it. Brad Pitt was doing a "I'm laughing because I don't want to look like an butt after the Christian Bale debacle" kind of laugh.

I was asked to slate with dirty words one time. A producer heard it pretty quick and I had to ask the director to explain that it was his wish. I used the usual words after that anyway.

Why is the AC calling out the slate IDs? The Sound Mixer generally does that quietly back at his cart, he tells the Boom Operator that they're rolling, the Boom Op calls out "Speed," then the Second AC says "Mark!", hits the sticks, then goes away.

Odd. :blink:

Also no timecode slates? On a big show like that why no smartslate? Also the slate changes - including a very old school chalkboard slate.... Makes me wonder if that whole montage was shot "extra" to the real production, with the DVD in mind?

Very funny video of the Italian clapper loader for Inglorious Basterds. Sorry if it's old.

I may be mistaken, but she's not Italian.

Why is the AC calling out the slate IDs? The Sound Mixer generally does that quietly back at his cart, he tells the Boom Operator that they're rolling, the Boom Op calls out "Speed," then the Second AC says "Mark!", hits the sticks, then goes away.

Brian, I've seen it happen that way (with the AC calling the slate IDs) most of the times, at least in Italy and other European productions.

Actually, on many shows, it's one of the grips that manages the slate, not the AC.

The strangest part is that it doesn't exactly fit with other things I've heard about the shooting of Inglourious Basterds. In last year's American Cinematographer article Robert Richardson talked about how Tarantino keeps a really quiet, respectful set (for example the entire crew have to turn in their cell phones before starting work) in order to help the actors concentrate. So I don't see how this fits with that philosophy! although it is absolutely hilarious.

The best part is glimpsing Robert Richardson himself at 1:12. What a legend.

I may be mistaken, but she's not Italian.

Brian, I've seen it happen that way (with the AC calling the slate IDs) most of the times, at least in Italy and other European productions.

Actually, on many shows, it's one of the grips that manages the slate, not the AC.

I have no idea why I thought she was Italian, must have read it somewhere on the internet (so it must be true)

• Premium Member
Why is the AC calling out the slate IDs? The Sound Mixer generally does that quietly back at his cart, ...

In ancient times, we used to do it that way, mainly because we were recording on mono Nagra's and didn't have a second microphone and switch box. Perhaps a habit born of poverty and entrenched by tradition? We also used to roll sound, voice slate, then roll camera and hit the sticks -- to save a few seconds of film on each take.

At least we didn't use Roman numerals for scene and take -- those were a pain..... ;-)

-- J.S.