Helium 3, the long promised nuclear fuel that is clean green and radiation free and will solve the problem of global warming. The only problem is that you have to go to the Moon or Saturn to get this modern version of gold. So David Bowies son makes a movie about helium 3 mining on the moon and I wonder if anyone has seen it ?

• Premium Member
Helium 3, the long promised nuclear fuel that is clean green and radiation free and will solve the problem of global warming. The only problem is that you have to go to the Moon or Saturn to get this modern version of gold. So David Bowies son makes a movie about helium 3 mining on the moon and I wonder if anyone has seen it ?

ONe of the best films of 2009 in my opinion, and from a first time director. Who says you can't do low budget (this was something like 5 Million) and sci-fi well. Should have had more oscar glory. Especially for Sam Rockwell's amazing performance. He literally carried the film.

jb

• Premium Member
Very nice film.. though dunno how I feel 'bout the "homage" to HAL. I liked it, just unsure how I ought feel 'bout it.

WATCH FOR SPOILERS NOW>>>>>

Well I thought it played well in the film. I was expecting the GERTY character to be more malicious, but in fact was the opposite. I kept waiting for it to go wrong (a la HAL) In fact, to me that's what the film was about. Both Sam and GERTY are striving for humanity, for recognition of their own humanity. Neither of them are full citizens of the world. They are outsiders straining for acceptance. GERTY commits the ultimate act of grace and empathy in the end. What else is that other than human ? The question the film really asks is what is it that defines humanity itself and are we worthy of the notions that go with that.

jb

• Premium Member

I certainly 100% agree with all of that John, and of course without Gert, you'd loose a god deal of the film-- if not all of it-- and while I do really like it, It just really never squared with me. Dunno why, I suppose it's almost like standing in a shadow. I've seen 2001 so many times that I can't look at Moon without immediately associating it-- and you know, perhaps that is the point, just one of those things that I get whishy washy on, for lack of a better term.

• Premium Member
I certainly 100% agree with all of that John, and of course without Gert, you'd loose a god deal of the film-- if not all of it-- and while I do really like it, It just really never squared with me. Dunno why, I suppose it's almost like standing in a shadow. I've seen 2001 so many times that I can't look at Moon without immediately associating it-- and you know, perhaps that is the point, just one of those things that I get whishy washy on, for lack of a better term.

Really ? Why do you link it so strongly with 2001 ? I'd say it's closer to films like Silent Running or even Metropolis. I guess it is about interacting with allien species to humans. In moon, you just didn't know that it's telling it from the aliens' side and he doesn't know he's not really considered a human or of the same rights. The computer too is an alien I spose.

jb

• Premium Member

For me, it was all just about the monotone computer system.. just with a smily face as opposed to a red eye which is something I link strongly to 2001. For me, HAL was 2001, the most human of characters in the film, much as GERTY was in Moon. Doesn't help that in both movies you have one "person," or perhaps "persona" would be better spending most of their time interacting with a machine-- though granted moon spices it up with the two "selves."

The movie Moon was a real eye opener for me . All my life I have been looking for a clean burning nuclear fuel only for the environmentalists to tell me that there was no such thing that existed and the pro nuke community who toldme that they could care less about radiation pollution and the environment. After seeing the movie Moon I put my google search to work and found an Apollo 17 astronaut Schmitt who is the champion of lunar helium 3 mining.

Edited by Thomas James

A very interesting film. In terms of set design, it could have been better, but the way they shot the set was very strategic and smart. The story was also interesting and kept my attention until the end. My problem was that there was no message and very little underlying theme. Looked beautiful though, particularly exterior shots. Really conveyed the loneliness of the character quite well.

• Premium Member

Bah! Why do you waste our time with this nonsense?

Everybody knows the whole thing was faked in a movie studio somewhere :lol:

The major objection to the credibility of a Moon landing is that if we really went to the Moon why are we not still going there? Imagine for example if Christopher Columbus had used a row boat instead of a sailing ship to get to America. Even if he had suceeded the effort would have been so formidable that after the first voyage his attitude would have been "been there done that" when propositioned about a second voyage and decades after his historic achievement sceptics would have still doubted the existense of America. What opened up America to colonization was not row boats but rather sailing ships.

And yet today we are still making the same mistake by using feeble chemical rockets to try to get to the Moon when the only technology that can open up the heavens to space colonization is the atomic powered rocket. Indeed atomic rockets powered by atomic thermonuclear explosions are so powerfull that during the 1970's we could have put a hundred men not only on the Moon, Mars but even could have had manned missions to Saturn. Yet it is not technology that holds us back but rather environmental concerns of the pollution that atomic rockets cause. Yet helium 3 promises to be the new atomic fuel that is radiation free but is only available on the Moon or on gas giant planets such as Saturn.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Ho-lee poop, that's the best looking five million dollars I've ever seen. Play.com has the DVD for £5 and that's probably the most unfair five quid I've ever spent.

I do find it slightly irritating when people are given any number of currency units that has seven zeros behind it, then start to complain about how little money they have, especially when they then do unconscionable things like making every single shot of that scrolling signboard a drop-in. Back project it, you dumb puppies.

Still, yes, well. Hmm. Good. Like.

With all that oil spilling in the Gulf of Mexico, helium 3 mining on the Moon is starting to make a lot of sense. Mining the Moon may actually be technologically easier than trying to operate a submarine 5000 feet under the ocean because at that depth you have enormous pressures which makes it difficult to cap a gushing well. And with our helium 3 atomic rocket technology the freight charge of hauling equipment to space may be only a dollar a pound because atomic rockets are millions of times more fuel efficient than chemical rockets. When space is mined Earth can be kept as a preserve.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw it right after it came out, and I loved it.

What I liked most of all, was that it was TRUE science fiction - meaning the STORY was the most important thing, not the FX, etc.

We've gotten to a point where Sci-Fi usually means "Aliens and spaceships" which of course is absurd. Some of the best sci-fi involved neither.

And of cousre, Sam Rockwell is great in everything he does. Just an amazing actor.

Matt Pacini