Kelly wheel for 35mm adapters & others

I work on a lot of shoots with a Pro 35 adapter or a Letus with various lenses. I would really like to know my DoF for these different setups and am looking for a resource to do so. Do they make kelly wheels for various pro Cameras? HPX 500? Varicam? Red? What about those 35mm adapters?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Stuart is bang on for the most part. Some 35mm adapters have effective frame sizes that are larger than 35mm, though. That will throw things off a bit. On the other hand, they have resolutions that are more limited than 35mm film. Bottom line is that the 35mm wheel will be a good ballpark.

Stuart is bang on for the most part. Some 35mm adapters have effective frame sizes that are larger than 35mm, though. That will throw things off a bit. On the other hand, they have resolutions that are more limited than 35mm film. Bottom line is that the 35mm wheel will be a good ballpark.

I figured a 35mm kelly wheel would be close for 35mm adapters but I wanted to ask to make sure how much difference in DoF there would be between an adapter and the real thing.

Would a safe thing to do is figure you have slightly less/ more DoF than you really do? What about something like the 5D2 with a full frame sensor and something like the 7D or Red One with the APS-C sized sensors? I know APS-C is around 35mm but I don't think it's exact.

Is it worth getting a Kelly wheel? I used one in school when we shot on the Arri ST and LT and it was so nice to have. However, I haven't touched film since, but i would like the tool again.

• Premium Member
I figured a 35mm kelly wheel would be close for 35mm adapters but I wanted to ask to make sure how much difference in DoF there would be between an adapter and the real thing.

Would a safe thing to do is figure you have slightly less/ more DoF than you really do? What about something like the 5D2 with a full frame sensor and something like the 7D or Red One with the APS-C sized sensors? I know APS-C is around 35mm but I don't think it's exact.

Is it worth getting a Kelly wheel? I used one in school when we shot on the Arri ST and LT and it was so nice to have. However, I haven't touched film since, but i would like the tool again.

It depends on too many factors whether you really have more or less on one of those adapters. They're generally too shoddy to be consistent in any way.

A 5D2 will have less than 35mm because you're using longer lenses in any particular situation. The RED, in theory, has the same depth of field as 35mm film. In my experience, however, it has less. The falloff from sharp to soft seems faster.

I don't bother with a kelly wheel. I set up and use pcam on my iphone.