Trying to figure out Eyemo magazine

Donald Riley

I am using a magazine on an Eyemo for the first time and the film is jamming in the camera. It seems like the take-up magazine pulley isn't spinning fast enough. The take-up spindle inside the camera spins about four times for every one time that the take-up magazine pulley spins. It seems like they should spin at the same speed.

I have a picture below of a little gadget that came with the camera. It looks like a pulley, but I have no clue where it could go.

I also have a pic of the drive belt because I actually got it from an old projector and don't know if the drive belt is the problem.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11744608443086...731901848585938

http://picasaweb.google.com/11744608443086...731909662620946

I am using a magazine on an Eyemo for the first time and the film is jamming in the camera. It seems like the take-up magazine pulley isn't spinning fast enough. The take-up spindle inside the camera spins about four times for every one time that the take-up magazine pulley spins. It seems like they should spin at the same speed.

I have a picture below of a little gadget that came with the camera. It looks like a pulley, but I have no clue where it could go.]

Hello Don!

Your 1st picture of the pulley is a part that I've never seen with an Eyemo or Eyemo mag. Looks like a pulley for some projector take-up or feed.

Your 2nd picture, well, is the wrong set up for the belt.

When using the 400ft mag (I'm assuming that's the size of the mag you're trying to use - there is a Eyemo 200ft mag, but it's rare) you need an electric motor to drive the camera and mag take-up. The internal spring wont do it, too much weight for it to handle! That's why the jamming.

The spring for a 400ft mag needs to be 14 3/4 inches long from tip of spring hook to tip of spring hook.

Springtips004-1.jpg

When the mag is mounted on the camera with the spring to the take up, it should look like this (sorry for the quickie scanner image):

Magloading005-1.jpg

Crossing the spring like you did will put undue load on the camera drive.

The take-up will turn "counter clockwise", so the film will take-up "emulsion out".

Magloading007.jpg

Also to prevent jamming, you need to adjust the loop sizes when you thread the camera:

Magloading003.jpg

Do you have a "shepherd's hook" to open the light-tight valves on the mag when you load?

Charlie

Wow! This was very helpful. Thank you so much Charlie. I was actually running it without the camera cover with exposed film to see how it worked. I didn't realize that the magazine had valves, so obviously the valves were shut.

Do you have a "shepherd's hook" to open the light-tight valves on the mag when you load?

I don't have a shepherd's hook, but thank you for the suggestion.

• Premium Member

The light traps open automatically when you put the mag on the camera. The hook is to open them manually while you're loading it. Look at the mag throat from the outside, there's a button you push in to make them swing open.

-- J.S.

I've gotten it to stop jamming in the camera, but now it's jamming in the magazine. I'm using a motor. I can't fathom how it could work if the take-up pulley spins four times slower than the take-up spindle does. It just doesn't spin fast enough to take up the film.

I've gotten it to stop jamming in the camera, but now it's jamming in the magazine. I'm using a motor. I can't fathom how it could work if the take-up pulley spins four times slower than the take-up spindle does. It just doesn't spin fast enough to take up the film.

Hi Don!

Jamming how? Not taking up on the core? Do you have the ancient type core, the type with the "key" molded into it so it fits in the mag take-up hub slot as shown in the picture above?

Here is a thread on how to modify the hub to take todays cores:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?sh...42&hl=eyemo

Charlie