Choosing a Fluid Head

So I'm gearing up to shoot my thesis, and I'm wondering if it is really worth it to upgrade the fluid head you use?

I'm renting a fluid head and standard and baby legs because the ones that the school provides are meant to hold no more than 20 pounds and shooting on a fully loaded RED... well that just isn't an option.

I'm a fan of O'Connors and I'm wondering if there is any true difference in the 1030S and the 2060HD? I know it has the counterbalance system which definitely helps out. I'm just wondering if it's just a preference which one you choose to use.

• Premium Member

Why fluid? As a student, you should learn to use a gear head. Once you do, you'll never go back. You can hit marks more accurately. It's a hell of a lot easier on your body at the end of a long day. See if they have an Arri head.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I'm right there with John about gearheads. I do realize, though, that your thesis may not be the time to spin the wheels for the first time.

Of the two you listed, I would absolutely take the 2060. It's built to take the weight of that camera. The 1030 would do it but it wouldn't be as steady. I would also take the 2060 because I tend to like a fair bit of resistance when I operate a fluid head and smaller heads simply don't have enough a lot of the time.

I agree with the learning how to use a gear head, but I have used one before (the Panahead with the Gold II) and let's just say I'm not the best operator with it. I'm much more comfortable with a fluid head for my thesis, and in terms of price, a gear head is twice the whole fluid head plus standard and baby legs.

Chris,

I'm going to be shooting in LA, where would be a good place to rent the head and sticks from? I'm from NYC so I don't know any good places in LA. I'm currently looking at Indie Rentals, but I still need to check about student discounts at other places.

Thanks for the input!

Edited by Steve McBride

• Premium Member

My favorite rental house is the camera house. Their equipment is always tip top, I reject fewer pieces there than anywhere else, and all the people there are great.

Also Steve, give me a call if you need a hand with anything here in LA. I'll happily help you any way I can.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member
Thanks. I've actually worked with Neal Dhand a few times (I'm from Rochester) who you've shot for a couple times and he has great things to say about you so I'd love to get in contact with you while I'm out there.

Neal's a great guy. I was disappointed that I didn't get to come shoot the feature he shot a couple months ago. Does that mean you're at RIT, too?

Yeah, he's currently editing the feature. No idea about the status of it yet.

No, I'm not at RIT, I went to MCC and am now at the New York Film Academy studying cinematography. I had an internship with Barry Sonders at Film Orange in Rochester where I met and worked with Neal a few times.

I think O'Connor make great heads. My favorite fluid ones. Pick a head that is if anything a bit bigger and can take slightly heavier cameras than you think you may need. If you end up with a heavier camera one day you will be thankful.

If weight is an issue, for say documentary work, thats different.

I've used the 2575 for years its the best in my opinion.

Geared heads have their place, but if you can only have 1 head on a production it must be a fluid one.

So I'm gearing up to shoot my thesis, and I'm wondering if it is really worth it to upgrade the fluid head you use?

I'm renting a fluid head and standard and baby legs because the ones that the school provides are meant to hold no more than 20 pounds and shooting on a fully loaded RED... well that just isn't an option.

I'm a fan of O'Connors and I'm wondering if there is any true difference in the 1030S and the 2060HD? I know it has the counterbalance system which definitely helps out. I'm just wondering if it's just a preference which one you choose to use.

In my experience a Red One in studio mode with on-board battery and large prime lens puts the 2060 head at 75%-80% counter balance capacity. with an Optomo 24-290 or other big zoom you need to go with a 2575.

Great to see another Rochester NY on this forum. I'm an RIT alum.

Edited by John Waterman