Looking for Crew to work for Title

I am doing a short film for my thesis project with the New York Film Academy in California. Budget is 10k so I'm looking for people who would like to work for title. It's a story about a recovering alcoholic who's trying to get his family back. My shoot days are Aug 16 - 30th. I'm looking for DP, Gaffer, Grips, Electrics, and a Casting Director. If you're interested, please reply to this, send me a message or e-mail me at annettebigles@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

• Premium Member
I am doing a short film for my thesis project with the New York Film Academy in California. Budget is 10k so I'm looking for people who would like to work for title. It's a story about a recovering alcoholic who's trying to get his family back. My shoot days are Aug 16 - 30th. I'm looking for DP, Gaffer, Grips, Electrics, and a Casting Director. If you're interested, please reply to this, send me a message or e-mail me at annettebigles@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

That's an awful lot days for a short, and a lot of time to ask of people who won't get anything out of it. :ph34r:

Four days for free is asking for a lot, unless its an amazing script, offers unique technical opportunities, etc. Why are your fellow student working as crew on this? The question I frequently ask NYU and Columbia Film students is, "You can somehow afford $25,000 for tuition, why can't you pay experienced people in the field at least $100 a day?"

• 2 weeks later...

Four days for free is asking for a lot, unless its an amazing script, offers unique technical opportunities, etc. Why are your fellow student working as crew on this? The question I frequently ask NYU and Columbia Film students is, "You can somehow afford $25,000 for tuition, why can't you pay experienced people in the field at least $100 a day?"

14 days...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I go to NYU. Believe me, paying for the school is extremely difficult. Which is why it's hard to pay day rates.

Perhaps you shouldn't be looking for professionals, then. There are a lot of students out there and many of them are very good and will come out for short productions for the experience and reel material.

Thank you.

Hey,

I would do it, just fly me over. :)

Perhaps it's one of those 1/2 hour shorts, certainly I'd expect that with that number of shooting days. They used to make fully funded higher budget shorts here (they paid people - not usually their full rate - and the film had to be delivered with 35mm prints), which had 6 day schedules for approx 15 min shorts. They and a lower budget 4 day shoot replacement scheme (definitely not full rate) were very successful on the festival circuit, winning quite a few awards. Now the scheme is digital and shoots 2 days for approx 5 mins running time (sometimes a bit longer), but they still pay the crew something. Schedules tend to be tighter these days, although some of these films were pretty busy for 12 hours, even on these schedules.

Using your fellow students should be the ideal for a thesis film.

• 1 month later...

I pay less than that for tuition and manage it with student loans and a scholarship, and I still just barely make it. However, I am in production right now and going crazy that I won't have enough crew to finish it. If you know anyone who might be interested in working grip/electric, I'm offering $30 for tonight, otherwise $20/day. I know it's not much but at least it covers gas, and I do offer great food on set. I just don't have any more to give. I can't wait for the day I actually have a budget that pays people well for their work. However, the script truly is amazing, and the shots we got last night blew me away...something that I truly hadn't felt with my other shoots.

If you have any ideas where I can find grip/electrics willing to work for this, please let me know 787-449-7000. Thanks!

• Premium Member

People have shot features in less than 8 days. Your schedule is flawed.

Keep in mind that, for no pay, the crew will probably not be efficient professionals. For example, my thesis in school took about that long and cut out to 22 minutes.