Found an old super8mm camera..Help.

Chris Hurn

Hey all. My friend found this camera in his house, his sister bought it from a 2nd hand shop. Here's a pic: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/...o518sv_sp8.html

I'm new to this, so I have a few questions:

1) Is this a good camera for 8mm?

2) What does 8mm film look like? anyone have any examples? (screens etc..)

3) Can I do sound on this camera?

4)What are the costs of processing all the film etc.. for a 6 minute short?

And finally. I'm curious. What kind of cameras/film were the original star wars movies shot on (say, a new hope) and how much are they to buy now?

Thanks,

-Chris

1) Yes

2) check out http://www.filmshooting.com for a forum and pictures taken with this and many other Super8 cameras

3) As is, no.

4) Depends on what filmstock, what shooting ratio, and where you live. I've done it for $100, I've done it for $30, depends a great deal on a lot of variables.

Finally, the original Star Wars was shot on a combination of 35mm and Vistavision, using old-school negative stocks, EXR I believe. A good Vistavision setup usually starts at around $50,000. A 35mm of the same calibur is at least $10,000.

Edited by downix

Guest Arthur Zajac

My friend also found an 8mm camera. The only description I see is that it is Kodak brownie Movie Camera II. I am interested in making some shorts and filming my friends band in 8mm like the White Stripes recent concert. Is this camera any good and could I find a better one online. I am ready to go to film, but don't have the budget for 16 or 35 so 8mm is my best bet. Any good advice from some seasoned pro's here would be much appreciated.

Arthur

"My friend also found an 8mm camera. The only description I see is that it is Kodak brownie Movie Camera II. I am interested in making some shorts and filming my friends band in 8mm like the White Stripes recent concert. Is this camera any good and could I find a better one online. I am ready to go to film, but don't have the budget for 16 or 35 so 8mm is my best bet. Any good advice from some seasoned pro's here would be much appreciated.

Arthur "

Kodak Brownie is 8mm (sometimes call regular 8 or double 8) and it is still a viable format but you may want to look into super 8 as the film stocks and infrastructure are a lttle easier to come by (some 8mm fans out there will probably disagree with me but I think there are more wuper 8 shooters than 8mm shooters for good reason). Having said that, you can do things in double 8 that you cannot do in super 8, like multple exposures over the same film. You will probably find super 8 more economical, though this could depend on where you live.

Get the best of both worlds and starting shooting on both formats

:D

Rick