Updated Frontbox Plans

• Premium Member

Hey, everyone. On a couple days off I updated and slightly cleaned up the frontbox plans I made available a while ago.

It's available a couple of different ways:

-a PDF with three views (view it 100% in adobe acrobat to get rulers) in one document

-adobe illustrator files for the top view, front view, and side view.

It should be pretty evident how everything fits together, but feel free to ask if something isn't clear. I'm not much of a technical draftsman.

PS- I downloaded the files to check and ".ps" was appended on the end of every file and I don't know why. Make sure to remove it. The first file should end in ".pdf" and the illustrator files should end in ".ai"

Edited by Chris Keth

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I finally got some time in my father's shop to knock together a frontbox, so I wanted to update this thread with a few photos so it's complete. This is built to the plans I posted above. Cost was about $20 in red oak lumber and 1/8" birch plywood. If I buy it from filmtools, I think the bracket will cost about $50. I will probably make that, too, since they're such a simple bit of hardware.

30036_642046696355_24403399_36300863_2212817_n.jpg

30036_642046581585_24403399_36300860_1826893_n.jpg

30036_642046461825_24403399_36300859_3082865_n.jpg

30036_642046381985_24403399_36300858_5369247_n.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

How did you cut the slots? Is there is a specific tool or technique used?

I used 1/8" thick birch cabinet plywood for the dividers, so a single pass on a tablesaw leaves you with a tight fit. I sanded the dividers to fit snug but not tight.

• 4 years later...

Hey, everyone. On a couple days off I updated and slightly cleaned up the frontbox plans I made available a while ago.

It's available a couple of different ways:

-a PDF with three views (view it 100% in adobe acrobat to get rulers) in one document

-adobe illustrator files for the top view, front view, and side view.

It should be pretty evident how everything fits together, but feel free to ask if something isn't clear. I'm not much of a technical draftsman.

PS- I downloaded the files to check and ".ps" was appended on the end of every file and I don't know why. Make sure to remove it. The first file should end in ".pdf" and the illustrator files should end in ".ai"

pdf not available...can you please update the link?

thanks

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

The main issue here is, the way we shoot pictures these days, front boxes have been rendered obsolete. We simply don't use them anymore.

G

Well if anyone else has any clue as to how to get plans for making such a frontbox it would be much appreciated!
I want to make a costumised one before my next project and it would be great to have some plans to rely on..

There is a software tool that takes and image an superimposes a ruler on the image that can be maneuvered around to measure various features. Can't remember the name of the application, but I'll hunt around. Think it was freeware.

Edited by JD Hartman

There is an earler thread on this front box. You could contact those guys. Someone probably has the original plans and built one. Or just back engineer it. If some functional dimensions are known, say, as if certain objects normally fit here or there, then you may not need drawings. There's still a photo on the BlackandBlue blog.

• 1 year later...

The main issue here is, the way we shoot pictures these days, front boxes have been rendered obsolete. We simply don't use them anymore.

G

How do you mean? What have made front boxes obsolete? I think they are still incredibly useful.

G

They drive me nuts when I operate the camera. I usually ask that they not be used.