Look here: How did he do it? (video)

Today we had our presentations for our visual thinking class. We all had to do a film, I'll post up mine later when I encode it, but one student above all did some amazing work. So amazing in fact, that I was baffled at how he has done it!

He has it uploaded online and I'm showing it to you because I would really love to know how he has done this, despite having a guess of my own.

He was using a Nikon D90? i think he said, either way, a Nikon digi cam with HD movie capabilities.

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-f0YuZUIE

Today we had our presentations for our visual thinking class. We all had to do a film, I'll post up mine later when I encode it, but one student above all did some amazing work. So amazing in fact, that I was baffled at how he has done it!

He has it uploaded online and I'm showing it to you because I would really love to know how he has done this, despite having a guess of my own.

He was using a Nikon D90? i think he said, either way, a Nikon digi cam with HD movie capabilities.

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-f0YuZUIE

Get some old lenses - any sort really, single elements, full housings, broken lenses, mirrors, sunglasses anything - chuck it in front of your sensor / chuck it in front of your current lens etc... You'll see what happens ;)

You even probably have some nice effects in your hands already - simply take of your current lens and flip around to shoot through it backwards ...you'll have to snoot off the sensor from light leaks somehow, bit of black something or other and some tape.

If you want to spend a little money:

http://www.lensbaby.com/lenses.php

if you want to spend a lot of money:

http://www.arri.de/camera/lenses/35_format...ilt_system.html (I think its ready to be motion controlled)

..then tape a bit of broken glass onto it anyway :lol:

Get some old lenses - any sort really, single elements, full housings, broken lenses, mirrors, sunglasses anything - chuck it in front of your sensor / chuck it in front of your current lens etc... You'll see what happens ;)

You even probably have some nice effects in your hands already - simply take of your current lens and flip around to shoot through it backwards ...you'll have to snoot off the sensor from light leaks somehow, bit of black something or other and some tape.

I asked the guy how he did it today, he briefly explained this method you wrote in here. He said he took his telephoto and extended it all the way, then had his wide angle in front of it. I tried it, and I just can't see anything, it just blocks it. I may be doing something wrong then.

Also am I getting this correct. Take off the lens, FLIP it, and shoot? lol.

I'm looking at Lensbaby right now, what lens would I need to get in order to achieve that kind of effect as in the video? Also what lens would everyone here RECOMMEND in general from the site? Thanks

Edited by Liam Howlett

I asked the guy how he did it today, he briefly explained this method you wrote in here. He said he took his telephoto and extended it all the way, then had his wide angle in front of it. I tried it, and I just can't see anything, it just blocks it. I may be doing something wrong then.

Also am I getting this correct. Take off the lens, FLIP it, and shoot? lol.

I'm looking at Lensbaby right now, what lens would I need to get in order to achieve that kind of effect as in the video? Also what lens would everyone here RECOMMEND in general from the site? Thanks

Yup, shoot through the lens backwards - but first have a think about it... not all lenses will work so well, some might have integrated hoods that are too long etc...

Hmmm - it is quite tricky to find the sweet spot sometimes - 'it just blocks it' - well, a wide will let some light through. Trust me its far from intuitive and or easy but I reckon before buying a lensbaby try the ol' broken crappy lens technique again - try different set ups, you'll see something eventually.

A lensbaby is ok/great if you have the cash (I'm a little tired of the look myself) - but please dont buy one without trying out your grandfathers old lens sitting in the back of the drawer at your parents place, or that magnifying glass your friend has etc... much cheaper

Yup, shoot through the lens backwards - but first have a think about it... not all lenses will work so well, some might have integrated hoods that are too long etc...

Hmmm - it is quite tricky to find the sweet spot sometimes - 'it just blocks it' - well, a wide will let some light through. Trust me its far from intuitive and or easy but I reckon before buying a lensbaby try the ol' broken crappy lens technique again - try different set ups, you'll see something eventually.

A lensbaby is ok/great if you have the cash (I'm a little tired of the look myself) - but please dont buy one without trying out your grandfathers old lens sitting in the back of the drawer at your parents place, or that magnifying glass your friend has etc... much cheaper

Yeah I was gonna jump on getting a lensbaby right away, but figured I'd rather play around first. Don't really have any old lenses, but I have the Telephoto/Wide angle combo, I can play around with that.

Thanks by the way, for the advice. Appreciated.

• Premium Member
He said he took his telephoto and extended it all the way, then had his wide angle in front of it.

What's happening here is that the wide angle lens functions as a diopter on steroids.

Take 1000 mm, divide it by the focal length of your wide angle, and that's the diopter power you get. For instance, an 18mm would give you 55.55 diopters, a 25mm would be 40 diopter power. Do also play with broken lenses, magnifying glasses, old reading glasses, etc. But this specific effect comes from the extremely high diopter number (for normal use, 3 diopters is already a lot).

If you don't get anything, it may be that the diopter power is so high that the distance you're focused on lands inside the wide angle lens.

-- J.S.