Max 8 format

John Richardson

Hello all, I am looking into the Max 8 format and have read many posts here but would like to get some expert opinions from around here on a few slightly confusing things.

1. Can this Max 8 format be telecined at anywhere else other than Pro 8mm, if so, where?

2. Why are the viewfinder lines in a "Max 8" camera not actually true 16:9 but actually in a ratio that can never be used? :blink:

Thankyou,

John

1. Can this Max 8 format be telecined at anywhere else other than Pro 8mm, if so, where?

I´d guess it can be telecined at just about any facility with proper Telecine equipment. This shouldn´t even be a issue, as long as you are not going to companies working with DIY solutions and no-budget telecine options.

2. Why are the viewfinder lines in a "Max 8" camera not actually true 16:9 but actually in a ratio that can never be used?

Because it is too complicated and expensive to modify/switch the viewfinder.

Hello all, I am looking into the Max 8 format and have read many posts here but would like to get some expert opinions from around here on a few slightly confusing things.

I believe Framsdiscreet.com in Toronto also handles Max8, Super-Duper 8 transfers.

From their website:

SUPER DUPER 8MM/ MAX-8 WIDESCREEN

"We can accommodate Super duper 8mm (aka. Wide 8mm or Max 8 Widescreen) for those who have modified super 8 cameras with wider gates. This modification allows you to shoot in an aspect ratio closer to 16:9 and in turn, allows you to shrink your grain providing an even sharper image".

2. Why are the viewfinder lines in a "Max 8" camera not actually true 16:9 but actually in a ratio that can never be used? :blink:

Thankyou,

John

You can also try www.photoplays.ca in Toronto. Reasonable prices and fast turnaround. This is the same outfit that transferred our super-duper 8 feature Sleep Always. Personally I would avoid Pro8 as they are over-priced and generate too many customer complaints.

Rick