10k Power Max generator

I noticed this generator on craigslist:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/rvs/1741349538.html

I don't know much about generators, but I know there must be a reason that it's less than a third of the price of Honda's 6500 generator. Would this be a decent generator for low budget film lighting? Or is it not built right for it?

I don't know much about generators, but I know there must be a reason that it's less than a third of the price of Honda's 6500 generator. Would this be a decent generator for low budget film lighting? Or is it not built right for it?

A generator like this has limited applications in low budget filmmaking. You can use it if you are using only incandescent lights (not the most efficient source), you are not recording sound, and you are not using the generator as your primary supply for tech equipment like monitors, lap tops, hard drives, and battery chargers. If you want to use other lights sources like HMIs, Fluorescents, & CLF lamp banks , it matters not only what type of generator you use but also what type of HMI & fluorescent ballasts you use. The harmonic noise that magnetic and non-Power Factor Corrected electronic ballasts (both HMI & Kino) kick back into the power stream can have a severe adverse effect on the power waveform of conventional AVR generators like this one. The harmonic noise these light sources generate will not nearly have as bad an effect on the power supplied by an inverter generator like the Honda EU6500is you mentioned above. For more details on what type of generator to use with HMIs and fluorescent lights see the following thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=58422&page=4

Or, this link - www.screenlightandgrip.com/html/emailnewsletter_generators.html.

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Boston