gy-hd100 weird issue... please help

Themis Gyparis

Hi everyone

I'm facing a very weird problem with my JVC GY-HD100E camcorder. Only lately I had my firewire port replaced as the camcorder was not recognized by any editing software. Though the port was replaced, the camcorder is still not recognized on HDV mode, despite the fact that I've tried 3 different cables and 3 different firewire inputs on two different PCs, a desktop and a laptop. The weird thing is that the camcorder works and can be controlled just fine when switched to DV mode on both the menu and the external switch. By now I'm growing desperate since the only option in case of a camcorder malfunction is the purchase of a VCR which is a rather expensive solution. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance

• Premium Member

I know at least one other person who had the 1394 hardware on an HD100 die rather abruptly; you didn't flick the switch with the thing powered on, did you? I think JVC did replace it, though.

I know at least one other person who had the 1394 hardware on an HD100 die rather abruptly; you didn't flick the switch with the thing powered on, did you? I think JVC did replace it, though.

Well, I definitely must have done something wrong at the time but isn't it weird that it doesn't work even after I replaced it? I knew about the issue with the HD100 and its firewire port since the camcorder purchase and I was very careful. Obviously not careful enough... But it's not justified to have one working DV firewire output and a non-working HDV one within the same port, especially after paying 180 euros to have it replaced on an authorized service, is it?

• 1 month later...

I just had that same issue this past weekend. I hooked up my camera to capture some footage. I was able to control the camera (rewind, play, etc.) but could not capture video. I tried both Final Cut Pro and Premiere. I kept at it and eventually Premiere allowed me to capture the footage. I don't know what I did. I'm looking into some kind of hard drive capture device so I don't have to do this each time, like an AJA Ki Pro (wishful), or maybe the NanoFlash. If I find out anything else, I'll post it.

Randy