Super 8mm 2K Sample Clip

Paul Korver

• Premium Member

There's no way Vimeo HD does this justice but it does look pretty damn sharp:

http://vimeo.com/11957378

This is 2 rolls of Super 8mm home movie footage Cinelicious I shot in NY last Fall.

We used it to test our our new realtime 2K scanning capabilities from our (also new) Super 8mm gate. It was scanned on our HD & 2K capable Spirit Datacine to 2048x1556 DPX files. Files were then encoded to 2K ProRes 4444 for a light edit. Footage was then downrezzed to fit full-frame/pillar-box into an HD widow. All footage is running at 24fps and all speed changes were in-camera. There's really no way to show you how sharp this scanner is with online compression but hopefully you get the idea.

1 roll was Ektachrome 64T

1 roll was Vision2 200T 7217

-Paul

• Premium Member

looks awesome. (tell me if im wrong but, negative seems to scratch up abit easier than reversal.)

In the spirit of super 8 ,great work.

Hi Ian... you are correct... it's also magnified by the fact that dust and scratches on neg look white, and on reversal they look black. This film got pretty beat up as it's what we we've used as "test film" for our Spirit Super 8mm setup and it's been up on the machine literally 50 times since January. We were experimenting with running it on the 16mm gate block to see what would happen... and it scratched a bit. Lesson learned :)

I know nothing about film.

To me that looks like a bizarre combination of sharp, loads of noise, contrasty, unrealistic retro colors, lots of DOF and slightly jittery.

Overall I really like the way it looks!

To me that looks like a bizarre combination of sharp, loads of noise, contrasty, unrealistic retro colors, lots of DOF and slightly jittery.

Sounds like you know lots! (insert smiling face here)

• 2 months later...

Err... yes I would agree. The clip looks as though significant aperture correction (sharpening) was applied to make it look sharper than it really is. As a result picture may have some noise mixed in with the grain. I only hope the unsteady picture is a result of the camera and not the telecine transport.

Sorry to say, not as impressed as I should be.

• Site Sponsor

Err... yes I would agree. The clip looks as though significant aperture correction (sharpening) was applied to make it look sharper than it really is. As a result picture may have some noise mixed in with the grain. I only hope the unsteady picture is a result of the camera and not the telecine transport.

Sorry to say, not as impressed as I should be.

I think if you watch it and look at the edge of the perf there that you will find that the transport is perfectly steady. Most modern telecine servo systems will keep the film steady to a humanly undetectable level and it is only when you have to do a roto or a track of some kind you find you need something pin registered. Plus it is Super-8! if it is rock steady you wan there are plenty of BL3 or BL4's around for cheap.

I don't think it was balls to the wall over-sharpened but it may have been a bit too sharp for the vimeo compressor probably looks allot nicer on a grading monitor. I have always though the Spirit had a bit of an electronic look compared to the Millenium or DSX but I think the clip looks real nice.

The Highline is a fun spot.

-Rob-